"A great, mountainous, little principality!" Top 5 Page for this destination Andorra by matcrazy1

Andorra Travel Guide: 495 reviews and 1,040 photos

Andorra amazed me and my friends!

Andorra is a fantastic mountainous country. It's a tiny principality squeezed between France and Spain in the heart of the Pyrenees Mountains. It's highly recommended to visit! I was in Andorra in 1994 and I was amazed!!!

Later on I crossed beautiful Pyrenees a few times but nothing compare to that drive through Andorra. And of all strange, European micro-countries I already visited (Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, Vatican City, Gibraltar) I liked Andorra most (add Gibraltar here). Well, I still have to visit tiny Faroe Islands, Isle of Man, Jan Mayen, Jersey and Svalbard.

At the end of 2005 I met my Polish friends who are passionate skiers and each winter spend at least two weeks skiing. After skiing in various ski stations in the Alps, in the Polish, Czech and Slovak Carpathian Mountains they asked me about Andorra. Well, I persuaded them to give Andorra a try. And following my suggestion they spent their winter vacations in Pas de la Casa in February 2006. Well, I am not surprised they came back extremely satisfied. We've met again recently and I've got to know that my friends plan to go skiing to Andorra again in 2007. So, they inspired me to update this page and share some their opinions (in hotel, nightlife and sport tip).

My short impressions

1. The road from France is amazing. It twists among beautiful high mountains always covered by snow. There are the tallest "snow poles" I have ever seen (4m or more :-). Unfortunately there are no parking lots to stop and explore the views.
2. The typical architecture of houses and churches in Andorra is suprisingly beautiful. Their walls are made of natural stones and rocks - unforgettable.
3. I have never seen so many 4x4 off road cars in use.
4. The price of petrol was much lower than in France or Spain (in 1994).
5. Andorra being out of the European Union is a duty free area. Prices (alcohol, cigarettes, cosmetics etc.) were really lower but it didn't attract me much.
6. In you can skiing in a swimsuit on sunny and warm days :-).
7. The country is green in valleys and white, snowy upwards.
8. Be careful while driving, snow storms are possible even in May.

More?

Welcome to my tips, travelogue and my other pages on Andorra towns and communities:
1. Pas de la Casa
2. Canillo
3. Encamp
4. Andorra la Vella

• Pros:Mountain scenery, skiins/snowboarding, stone architecture, duty free shopping
  • Cons:Traffic and air pollution in lower valleys, long transfers from airports, far from Poland
  • In a nutshell:Amazing, tiny, mountainous country!
  • Last visit to Andorra: May 1994
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Hello, Maciek! Wow, you were lucky to visit that place! ~ Congratulations! ~

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM

HI again; we are going to be in Andorra area first wk of May, but I hope we don't have snow! Thanks for all the tips.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Very well done page. Makes Andorra an enticing place to visit.

• Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM

Macku! Very nice page! Thanks I was worried that we'll have no snow (going end of March) but it looks like we gonna have fun! Dzieki

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 9:23 AM

A very interesting page about a country I know so little about. Thank you.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I would like to visit this off the beaten path country one day too!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 3:37 AM

What a lovely area for skiers. Nice page,Matt.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Pas de la Casa could very well be a skiers paradise judging from the trails--not a place for novices, but it sounds great! Encamp looked like it might be an interesting place to stop, too...THANKS,Matt

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 1:37 PM

I enjoyed reading about your trip to this amazing little country. If I ever go to Barcelona, I'll make it a point to get to Andorra.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 11:05 AM

I've so many stories about Andorra, but had no idea about how it really is. Wonderful page, Matt!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Andorra

Have you been to Andorra?

Latest Activity in Andorra