"A great, mountainous, little principality!" Top 5 Page for this destination Andorra by matcrazy1
Andorra Travel Guide: 542 reviews and 1,232 photos
Andorra is a fantastic mountainous country. It's a tiny principality squeezed between France and Spain in the heart of the Pyrenees Mountains. It's highly recommended to visit! I was in Andorra in 1994 and I was amazed!!!
Later on I crossed beautiful Pyrenees a few times but nothing compare to that drive through Andorra. And of all strange, European micro-countries I already visited (Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, Vatican City, Gibraltar) I liked Andorra most (add Gibraltar here). Well, I still have to visit tiny Faroe Islands, Isle of Man, Jan Mayen, Jersey and Svalbard.
At the end of 2005 I met my Polish friends who are passionate skiers and each winter spend at least two weeks skiing. After skiing in various ski stations in the Alps, in the Polish, Czech and Slovak Carpathian Mountains they asked me about Andorra. Well, I persuaded them to give Andorra a try. And following my suggestion they spent their winter vacations in Pas de la Casa in February 2006. Well, I am not surprised they came back extremely satisfied. We've met again recently and I've got to know that my friends plan to go skiing to Andorra again in 2007. So, they inspired me to update this page and share some their opinions (in hotel, nightlife and sport tip).
1. The road from France is amazing. It twists among beautiful high mountains always covered by snow. There are the tallest "snow poles" I have ever seen (4m or more :-). Unfortunately there are no parking lots to stop and explore the views.
2. The typical architecture of houses and churches in Andorra is suprisingly beautiful. Their walls are made of natural stones and rocks - unforgettable.
3. I have never seen so many 4x4 off road cars in use.
4. The price of petrol was much lower than in France or Spain (in 1994).
5. Andorra being out of the European Union is a duty free area. Prices (alcohol, cigarettes, cosmetics etc.) were really lower but it didn't attract me much.
6. In you can skiing in a swimsuit on sunny and warm days :-).
7. The country is green in valleys and white, snowy upwards.
8. Be careful while driving, snow storms are possible even in May.
- Pros:Mountain scenery, skiins/snowboarding, stone architecture, duty free shopping
- Cons:Traffic and air pollution in lower valleys, long transfers from airports, far from Poland
- In a nutshell:Amazing, tiny, mountainous country!
There is no Andorran language and currency (they use euros). There is no Andorran military force as well (Spain and... more travel advice
My friends, passionate skiers, following my suggestion went to Andorra for skiing in February 2006. They stayed in a... more travel advice
- Local food and Danish friend
- Tax free shopping?
- Traffic, parking and air pollution
- Poor quality pictures
- Sunglasses, sunblock, photo filters!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Andorra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great, mountainous, little principality!"
- "ANDORRA, the country at Pyrenees."
- "EL PAIS DELS PIRINEUS"
- "Jewel in the Middle of Pyrenees"
- "THE SMALLEST COUNTRY IN THE IBERIAN PENINSULA"
- "Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees"
- "The Small Mountain Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andorra
- Hotels in Andorra
- Transportation in Andorra
- Nightlife in Andorra
- Restaurants in Andorra
- Shopping in Andorra
- Warnings and Dangers in Andorra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andorra
- 45 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Andorra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andorra
- updated a Andorra Travel Page "A great, mountainous, little principality!"
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stop in Encamp"
- Wrote a Review Local culture, language and politics in Andorra Local Customs
- Commented on one of dlandt's Andorra travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues