Berlin Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Berlin Tourist Traps: 107 reviews and 78 photos
BELL WHICH SCARED ME TO DEATH :-)
When I was going upstairs to the viewing platform of the tower of St. Mathew Church the very sudden and huge noise scared me a lot. It was surely impressive sound of this electrically moving bell on my picture. Haha, now I can't stop laughing but I almost fell downstairs at first moment that time. I should expect the bell's huge sounds but I didn't.
Unique Suggestions: Just DO ACCEPT the noice.
And if you are US citizen you can eventually try to sue them at American court (if possible) and win a lot of money for next travels :-). There were no warnings on that noise or I didn't notice any. Happy sueing!
Fun Alternatives: The bell rings every exact hour, skip that time. Eventually wear something anti-noice for your ears :-)
Excuse, it happened to me not in Berlin but on the way back to Poland.
DRIVING AT SNOW STORM
In Berlin at the end of February I had quite good weather - a little bit snow in the morning but mostly sunny weather during the day. When I left Berlin driving first towards Dresden than to Wroclaw, Poland it started to change.
It was snowing and shortly my freeway was covered by snow and ice at some places. I had to drive very caarefully and slow. Additionally quality of a freeway in Poland at its first say 100 km was... not acceptable. At some parts there was only one lane on each direction open and the old cement slabs on the road were destroyed by haevy traffic what made the road very bumpy. Futher down to Wroclaw it went better.
FREEWAY/MOTORWAY TO POLAND
The freeway Berlin-Breslau (Wroclaw) was built by Hitler before WWII when eastern part of Poland with Wroclaw belonged to Germany. During cold war the freeway was partly torn down as the Soviet Union which occupied both Poland and eastern part of Germany needed... the cement slabs which were used to built a freeway. Then the road (A12 and A4) was partly used (at some parts only two lanes which survived) and a little bit renovated. In recent years it was rebuilt in Germany and partly rebuilt in Poland but in some parts (close to Germany) not which means that it's very bumpy there. And now a new good freeway goes from Wroclaw almost to city of Gliwice (but warning: NO restaurants on the way and very few, small rest areas) and futher east from Katowice to Krakow. More soon...
I have to admit that driving from Germany to much more poor Poland I don't experience a culture shock (since 90') but I still experience something like say "driving shock".
Unique Suggestions: In Berlin and Poland be always prepared for snow from say November to March (rarely in September, October, April). Winter (or snow) tyres are highly recommended, I could say obligatory.
Drive very carefully, slow down - I had to drive 60 - 70 km/h on a freeway.
Fun Alternatives: There are numerous trains (Euro-city) and air-planes to Berlin.
Check European railway timetable
SMART - HALF-A-CAR
I was looking for any parking place for my car close to the New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie). It was Sunday before midday at the end of February. The toll parking lots around were full as a few events took place around, I suppose (surely the concert in a philharmony). I had to drive around doing right-turn circles about 30 min when unexpectadly I saw a car leaving its parking place :-))).
Unique Suggestions: Keep smiling and either drive around like crazy or stop at one place among numerous already parked cars and watch for any leaving car.
Fun Alternatives: Don't drive a car or drive such half-a-car like on my picture - 2-passanger Smart car of very smart length.
Good news: public transportation is very efficient in Berlin :-).
More Reviews (315)
- See All NO downtown/centre and orientation
- See All Empty churches
- See All Movable artwork - pose 2 (do not rate)
- See All Rostbratwurst-Berlin version of hot dog
- See All Take more time
- See All What a roof!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Penacook Hotels
- Faisalabad Hotels
- Alpheton Hotels
- Sunbury-on-Thames Hotels
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 318 Reviews
- 362 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 101 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let's meet for jazz, beer and great VT talkings!"
- Posted in Travel Georgia Forum "Re: GPS map of Georgia for Garmin"
- Commented on one of Grazina's Berlin travel pages
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "More than the capital of Germany"
- Wrote a Review NO downtown/centre and orientation about Useful Information in Berlin Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (380)
Latest Berlin hotel reviews
- Melia Hotel Berlin
- 751 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Steglitz International
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Steigenberger Hotel Berlin
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Novalis
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Berolina Airport Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2012
- Rocco Forte Hotel De Rome
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Mercure Hotel Berlin Mitte
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Arcotel Velvet
- 267 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Ravel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 8, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Boulevard
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Ringhotel Chateau Berlin
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Gay Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- All In Hostel Berlin
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Reichstag- 179 Reviews, 311 Photos
- Checkpoint Charlie- 158 Reviews, 258 Photos
- Alexanderplatz- 86 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Berlin Wall- 131 Reviews, 247 Photos
- Potsdamer Platz- 92 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Fernsehturm - TV Tower- 85 Reviews, 155 Photos
- History - World War II- 75 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Museumsinsel - Museum Island- 118 Reviews, 249 Photos
- Berliner Dom - Berlin Cathedral- 101 Reviews, 190 Photos
- Tiergarten - Zoo- 74 Reviews, 147 Photos
See All Berlin Things to Do