"More than the capital of Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin by matcrazy1
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,980 reviews and 15,812 photos
I started to put up this mega-page on 6 March 9.30 pm and I finished it just now - 19 April 2004 11.20 pm. Uff... it took me much more time than I spent in Berlin :-). I am going to revisit Berlin hopefully soon that's why I put up the last travelogue - FORUM.
I am going to update/improve my tips and eventually fix up some mistakes. Please, e-mail me whenever you find any.
Thank you for your help and visit on my page! Welcome :-) Enjoy!
Berlin really surprised me, so I started to plan my next visit, although I very rarely come back to larger cities I have already visited (except Krakow, Poland and Barcelona, Spain :-).
I think that with all amazing cultural events which take place in Berlin each week, a lot of cultural traditions, unique character/soul (is it German city? :-), relaxing atmosphere, high tolerance to "strange people", location in the heart of Europe and finally with all that money the German government (= tax-payers) spends for Berlin, the city will become real cultural capital of Europe soon. The end of Paris ? No, I don't think so but... as I wrote above.
My strong recommendation is to visit Berlin before it becomes more crowded, more expensive and maybe more commercial.
My own small/big highlights in Berlin:
1. Famous Yorckschlosschen Club and Bar in artistic district (Berlin's Mont-Martre) Kreuzberg where famous jazz/blues bands play on each Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (start at 10pm). I met 3 very nice VT-ers living in Berlin who welcomed us very, very warm:
- Gillian (GillianMcLaughlin)
- Karin (Karin1S)
- Dimitris (Dimi1)
Thank you very much my new friends, you made our evening, one never to forget :-)
2. MoMA - Museum of Modern Art in New York City in Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin, a must see (till September 2004) - over 200 masterpieces of art including famous paintings of Cezanne, van Gogh, Picasso, Matisse, Dal?, Kandinsky and others.
3. Shopping (from cheap second-hand stores to luxury stores).
More in my tips.
I found this place, commemorating people who tried to escape to West Berlin through the wall which was there from 1961 until 1989 and were shot to death by East German guards, close to Brandenburg Gate. For me, it is the special place to reflect on the past !
Unfortunately I was born on wrong side of the Iron Curtain. I am old enough to remember well how hard it was to live and travel at that time - esp. for folks who were "unlucky" to preserve free minds. And there were no opportunities, no hope for a better future and/or freedom except... immigration to Western Europe, USA etc.
It started to change in 1988-1989 in Poland when the first anti-communist government in Eastern Europe was established. And the changes started to be unchangable (back to communism) in my mind just when I saw Berlin wall falling down on 9th Nov. 1989! They were great days/nights for me watching TV showing the last hours of the Wall I hated so much. It was the best thing which could happen in my "wrong" part of Europe.
Standing on that special for me place in Berlin I thought:
- why politicians made so many fatal mistakes (to allow Stalin to divide Europe for many years, I mean), can't they make decisions for a future further than just to next pools ?
- don't they want to build a new wall across Europe, on the eastern border of the European Union? Well, I will be on its "better" side in 10 days but it doesn't change my mind in that matter;
- how many people suffered unbelievable poverty, lack of freedom, prisons, even death before it changed ? how many people still have changed (ill) minds? how long it will take to change their minds back?
- can people (esp. top politicians and those who vote for them) learn something from our not so old history ?
Well, anyway I am much more optimistic about the future since the Berlin Wall was torn down. Although terrorism or better to say not a strong enough will to fight against it, makes me less optimistic.
I found Berlin the most modern, new and pretty European city in the many parts I was lucky to see. It is still under construction though. There are great jobs for architects there, I am sure.
And Berlin is an old city as well with thousands of well preserved streets full of old buidings, churches, cafes and real pearls of old architecture.
I'd like to say thank you very much to the two American VT-ers who helped me with my English on this page:
- Chris from Atlanta, Georgia (balfor),
- Nat from Mechanicsville, Virginia (b1bob).
- Pros:Berliners and VT-ers living there, cultural events (music, art), fascinating history of the Wall, pretty modern architecture, large but not very busy, relaxing at many places, shopping, and many more pro's...
- Cons:Expensive at... some places, parking a car (but not driving :-) maybe real hell, not clean at few (!) places - disease of all large cities, sudden noise of one bell :-)
- In a nutshell:Cultural capital of Europe... soon :-)
There is NO one centre/downtown in Berlin, no central square. Quite unique among large and old European cities. The city... more travel advice
Visiting churches (evangelic and Roman catholic) in Berlin I didn't find any prayers inside despite it was Sunday - holy... more travel advice
- See All Movable artwork - pose 2 (do not rate)
- See All Rostbratwurst-Berlin version of hot dog
- See All Take more time
- See All What a roof!
- See All Books on art
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 318 Reviews
- 362 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 100 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let's meet for jazz, beer and great VT talkings!"
- Commented on one of Grazina's Berlin travel pages
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "More than the capital of Germany"
- Wrote a Review NO downtown/centre and orientation about Useful Information in Berlin Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues