"Far...far.. far west" California by solopes
California Travel Guide: 45,358 reviews and 106,579 photos
I made my first (and last, till now) trip to California in my 2004 holidays, for the first time without the boys. To fight jetlag we spent 2 days in New York in both directions.
Form there we flew to S. Francisco, where we rented a car in the airport, to go to town. With my special skills to loose myself I went straight to Oakland. I noticed it when entering the bridge, but decided not to turn halfway, and, since I was there, why not a look over Oakland? Back to S. Francisco I had no trouble finding the excellent motel I booked in Internet.
We stood there for 3 days, and took 2 days driving south to Los Angeles. A quick visit to Carmel and 17 mile drive, a lunch at Nepenthe, stopping here and there in the Big Sur, and the visit to Hearst Castle at San Simeon. A few more miles and we slept in a calm and cheap motel at Santa Maria.
The 2th day was reserved to see Santa Barbara (wonderful surprise) and Malibu (disappointed), arriving at Santa Monica by the end of the day.
Two days in Los Angeles, with everybody's program and I delivered the car in the airport, leaving to Las Vegas by night. Two nights there and, as weekend came with its rising of the prices, we escaped to the Grand Canyon, by air, visiting also the Brice Canyon and Monument Valley. Back to Vegas in Sunday afternoon, to find the room still cheaper than 2 days before. And it was it, flying next day back to New York, and home 2 days later.
As an alternative to the life in the big cities, a few days in the wild coast that stretches from Monterey to San Simeon... more travel advice
The most European of the American cities, San Francisco is really a must see. The connection to the sea, the conflicts... more travel advice
solopes' Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Badges & Stats in California
- 44 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 183 reviews, 437 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 291 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 88 reviews, 195 photos
- Beijing Intro, 61 reviews, 122 photos
- Dubai Intro, 58 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 45 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos
- Turquel Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 48 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 53 reviews, 101 photos
Top California hotels
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9084 Reviews - 19094 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4343 Reviews - 8598 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3052 Reviews - 6672 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 703 Reviews - 1934 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 647 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 909 Reviews - 2715 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 753 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 176 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 476 Reviews - 1051 Photos
- Cambria Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Napa Hotels
- 419 Reviews - 1142 Photos
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- 1492 Reviews - 3398 Photos
- Santa Cruz Hotels
- 284 Reviews - 635 Photos
- Oakland Hotels
- 244 Reviews - 492 Photos
- South Lake Tahoe Hotels
- 354 Reviews - 752 Photos