"Batalha" Top 5 Page for this destination Batalha by solopes
Batalha Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 456 photos
In august 14th of 1385, 6500 Portuguese (and English) defeated 31000 Spanish (and French) in Aljubarrota. To celebrate the victory, king Joao I decided to build the most precious gem of Portuguese architecture - the monastery of Batalha.
Started in 1388, the work took centuries and was never finished. But the results are superb. The first and most known architect, Afonso Domingues, planned a risky vault to the room of Capitulo, without any other support than the walls. Tradition says that he opposed the critics that said it was going to fall, by sitting under it, and there diing of starvation.
The whole place is an harmonious combination of several styles, excellent to understand the evolution of art in Portugal, during the medieval ages.
In 1402 the direction of the construction was assumed by the Flamand Huguet, who introduced several diferences in the architecture, started as portuguese gothic and finished as flamboyant gothic. It's interesting to compare the two main doors, the front one conceived by Huguet.
I never slept in this hotel (28 km from my bed) but I visit it frequently, It is chosen by sellers to display their... more travel advice
Portugal has an exclusive style, a sort of Gothic variation with the adding of nautical elements, that is present in... more travel advice
solopes' Related Pages
Batalha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Batalha, Portugal"
- "Batalha - UNESCO site"
- "VT TOUR TO BATALHA"
- "Batalha - [The "Batlle"]"
- "The Monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batalha
- Hotels in Batalha
- Transportation in Batalha
- Restaurants in Batalha
- Shopping in Batalha
- Warnings and Dangers in Batalha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batalha
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Batalha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batalha
Photos in BatalhaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 192 reviews, 459 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 296 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 90 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos
- Beijing Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Turquel Intro, 39 reviews, 141 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 58 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 45 reviews, 126 photos
- Funchal Intro, 48 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 53 reviews, 101 photos