"The Cursed Town" Mafra by solopes
Mafra Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 91 photos
Its enormous monastery has been hated for centuries, for what it historically represents: a way of spending the tons of gold coming from Brazil in the 18th century, without any profit, while in Europe the Industrial Revolution started development. Things went worse 40 years ago, when it became the "factory of express officers" preparing thousands of students and graduated Portuguese to fight in Africa. But... its unfair! Mafra has nothing to blame, and the wasted money built something impossible to miss nowadays.
It's becoming a new tradition, the decoration of historic buildings for Christmas. Good taste was present in Mafra,... more travel advice
From outside the monastery impresses for its size; from inside it's the richness of the used materials that call our... more travel advice
solopes' Related Pages
Mafra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heritage, Nature and Tradition"
- "Mafra for book lovers"
- "The town that a monastery built"
- "Mafra is the city of the Convent..."
- "Mafra - Portugal"
- "The Cursed Town"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mafra
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Mafra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mafra
Photos in MafraSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 183 reviews, 437 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 291 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 88 reviews, 195 photos
- Beijing Intro, 61 reviews, 122 photos
- Dubai Intro, 58 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 45 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos
- Turquel Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 48 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 53 reviews, 101 photos