Dubai Things to Do Tips by solopes
Dubai Things to Do: 835 reviews and 2,163 photos
The museum's collection is poor.
To give life and expression to the place some displays where focused in people's life, instead of people's belongings or art creation.
In a dimmed light, some of the real scale creations do have expression, and the final result is positive.
Dubai - Mosque
It’s easy to notice that this mosque is a recent building, with the opulence and richness that are becoming standard in Dubai, but it’s also noticeable that it was built with full respect for traditional Islamic architecture, and a good taste in the decorative details.
The result of this combination of modernity and respect for tradition is positive, and the mosque is a beautiful temple in all the plans and from any distance.
Wafi Center - Dubai
A very big mall, still under construction when we visited it, wants to dispute all the titles: "the best" "the biggest" "the most beautiful"...
Well, I can't be judge in such competition - it has everything (as all the other), and... maybe it is... until the next one!
Dubai - traditional house
In the museum's courtyard stand some of the most interesting pieces in display.
The typical house is one of them: made in wood, its rustic conception and execution doesn’t spare the clever solution to drive the wind inside, as the cheaper and most effective way to cool the house.
Dubai - Gold Souk
One of the recommended goods to buy in Dubai is… gold.
Well, the gold souk is astonishing: hundreds of shops side by side, with all kind of gold and golden artefacts may turn into any woman’s dream. But for me it was somewhat constraining: too many qualities, too hard to bargain too much money for a "cheap" item that may be lost or stolen during our trip.
Fernanda felt in love with really beautiful earrings, that didn't match her price. And I escaped, this time.
Good! I really appreciated the gold souk. No kidding! It is something that really has to be visited.
Dubai marine beach
Staying in the beach during the hot hours, in summer days, is suicidal.
However, the swim at sunset surely compensates the hours under the protection of the air-conditioned. The heat is bearable, the water is hot, calm is everywhere, and the falling of the night a relaxing enhancement to the bath. Good moments!
More than a traditional transport, the filling of these boats and their "dance" from bank to bank is an interesting performance to see.
By sunset, when the heat becomes bearable, the stronger colors and shades enhance the visual effects.
Al Fahidi Fort - Dubai
The walls of the fort are built from coral and shell rubble from the sea, and are cemented together with lime.
Wooden poles, called handel, support the upper floor, and the ceiling is made of palm fronds, mud and plaster.
A massive, iron-studded door stands at the entrance, and its battle-scarred walls and towers bear witness to the conflicts in the past.
All the guides and most VT tips advice the visit to Jumeirah mosque at night, to see its illumination.
My hotel was across the street and I did it almost each day.
I agree with the tips. At night it gets new colours, new relieves, and, with the not so hot weather, we may take a little longer appreciating it. (My daytime visit was at 6 AM, also “mild”).
I only saw from outside this water park situated between the Burj-al-Arab and the Jumeirah Beach hotels.
Of course that, being in Dubai it must be the most... something, but the almost 50º C of August didn't allow us to leave the air-conditioning.
Maybe next time, if it there will be one!
More Reviews (35)
- See All Mixing
- See All Souks
- See All Excessive time
- See All Dubai Marina
- See All Exotic origins
solopes' Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not all that glitters is gold..."
- "Nothing is Too Impossible in Dubai"
- "DESERT ROSE MONOLOGUES - A DUBAI AFFAIR"
- "DUBAI - The Pearl of Arabia"
- "Developing Dubai"
- "Dubai - a city growing before your eyes!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 58 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (157)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 192 reviews, 459 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 296 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 90 reviews, 201 photos
- Beijing Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça Intro, 49 reviews, 135 photos
- Turquel Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 58 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 45 reviews, 126 photos
- Funchal Intro, 48 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 53 reviews, 101 photos
- Burj Khalifa- 33 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Jumeirah Beach Park- 35 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Desert Safari- 51 Reviews, 151 Photos
- Al Fahidi Fort - Dubai Museum- 45 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Gold Souq- 21 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Atlantis - Aquaventure Waterpark- 14 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Burj Al Arab- 40 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Dubai Creek- 23 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Jumeirah Mosque- 24 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Madinat Jumeirah- 22 Reviews, 58 Photos
See All Dubai Things to Do