Dubai Things to Do Tips by solopes
Dubai Things to Do: 803 reviews and 2,070 photos
Do you believe that, sometimes, I was the one heading to the malls? Fernanda was surprised, but the fifty someting Celsius degress outside, pushed me into the air-conditioned.
Which one is the best? Well... that's a problem - all big, all with outstanding architecture, all with the same (expensive) shops and brands, all... so cool!
The building euphoria couldn't spare the royal family - huge palaces were being built out of common people's sight.
Furthermore, pictures were forbidden, so I amused myself photographing some peacocks.
Look at them, so nice, the peacocks, without any palace behind them.
In the forest of skyscrapers and cranes, suddenly, a strange image - a tree!
No, it was not a garden, it was a real natural tree. And more than that, in the shade, a modest building.
How could they forget it there?
Don't try to go and see it. If it wasn't a mirage, a new skyscraper is already growing in its place.
Heading to the gold souk, we didn't pay much attention to the spices souk in the way.
It is small, but it shows all the usual colours and smells, looking wider and calmer than the ones in north Africa.
I think that the real Dubai is now confined to a small quarter, but housing a sample of everything - small souks, a museum, a mosque, a traditional house, handicrafts, actually, an island in the forest of cranes and skyscrapers.
Buitl 200 years ago using traditional techniques, this modest mosque is a good example of the real Dubai before the petrodollar invasion.
We didn't visit it, but I think that it is open to visitors (a nice and uncommon exception).
Dubai - Mosque
It’s easy to notice that this mosque is a recent building, with the opulence and richness that are becoming standard in Dubai, but it’s also noticeable that it was built with full respect for traditional Islamic architecture, and a good taste in the decorative details.
The result of this combination of modernity and respect for tradition is positive, and the mosque is a beautiful temple in all the plans and from any distance.
The museum's collection is poor.
To give life and expression to the place some displays where focused in people's life, instead of people's belongings or art creation.
In a dimmed light, some of the real scale creations do have expression, and the final result is positive.
Wafi Center - Dubai
A very big mall, still under construction when we visited it, wants to dispute all the tittles: "the best" "the biggest" "the most beautiful"...
Well, I can't be judge in such competition - it has everything (as all the other), and... maybe it is... until the next one!
Dubai - traditional house
In the museum's courtyard stand some of the most interesting pieces in display.
The typical house is one of them: made in wood, its rustic conception and execution doesn’t spare the clever solution to drive the wind inside, as the cheaper and most effective way to cool the house.
More Reviews (35)
- See All Mixing
- See All Souks
- See All Excessive time
- See All Dubai Marina
- See All Exotic origins
solopes' Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not all that glitters is gold..."
- "Nothing is Too Impossible in Dubai"
- "DESERT ROSE MONOLOGUES - A DUBAI AFFAIR"
- "DUBAI - The Pearl of Arabia"
- "Developing Dubai"
- "Dubai - a city growing before your eyes!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Explore the World
- Svartevatn Hotels
- South Yarra Hotels
- Banneux Hotels
- Nambucca Heads Hotels
- Okrug Gornji
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 58 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 186 reviews, 442 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 119 reviews, 293 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 88 reviews, 195 photos
- Beijing Intro, 61 reviews, 122 photos
- Dubai Intro, 58 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 45 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça Intro, 46 reviews, 123 photos
- Turquel Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos, 4 travelogues
- Funchal Intro, 48 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 53 reviews, 101 photos
Latest Dubai hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Residence Deira
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 3, 2012
- Oriental Palace (Standard)
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- StarMetro Deira Hotel Apartments
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Dubai Marina - Marina Heights
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Bavaria City Suites Al Qusais
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- The Palm Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Nov 20, 2012
- San Marco
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2012
- World Trade Centre Dubai
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Al Jawhara Metro
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- 4 Palms Dubai
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Princess Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2012
- The Metropolitan Palace Hotel
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Desert Safari- 52 Reviews, 156 Photos
- Souqs- 54 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Burj Khalifa- 32 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Shopping- 36 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Dubai Museum- 39 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Jumeirah Beach Park- 21 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Burj Al Arab- 34 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Gold Souq- 17 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Dubai Creek- 30 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Jumeirah Mosque- 20 Reviews, 50 Photos
See All Dubai Things to Do