"Hluboka nad Vltavou, a fairy-tale castle in CZ" Hluboka nad Vltavou by Nadia7
Hluboka nad Vltavou Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos
Hluboka nad Vltavou is a romantic castle rebuilt into English Thudors gothic during 1841-1871. The whole complex is surrounded by English style park.
The Basin of Ceske Budejovice which is bordered by many lakes is dominated with huge silhouette of the Hluboka castle, built in 13th century on a hill being flown round by the river Moldau. The early gothic castle was built by the king Premysl Otakar II. The castle along with the town of Ceske Budejovice were supposed to protect the kings power over this land neighboured by Vitkovci. Reneissance appearance of the castle is known only from Willenberg's engraving from the beginning of the 17th century. After death of Premysl Otakar II. at Moravian field in 1278, the castle was empowered by Vitkovci.
In 1290 Zavis z Falkenstejna was executed on the order of his son Vaclav II. under the castle's walls. The castle belonged again to Vitkovci in 14th century but during the reign of king Charles IV the castle became again the property of the Crown.
Jan Adolf I. Schwarzenberg bought the castle from Baltazar's inheritors At the beginning of 18th century Schwarzenberg's family had the medieval castle rebuilt into a confortable chateau (architects Pavel Ignac Bayer and Antonin Erhard Martinelli). The Schwarzenbergs belonged among the most significant noble families in the Czech lands.
The original heraldic emblem of the family was just silver and blue stripes. Another significant personage of the family was the count Adolf who conquered Raab, a Turkish fortress. In memory of this battle, he included the head of a Turk with a raven pecking out its eye into his coat-of-arms.
Can you see the raven and the Turk there? Left corner...
Today's appearance comes from the reconstruction hold during 1841-1871, made according the project of Wien's architect Frantisek Beer. Later the construction was directed by Damas Deworecky. The reconstruction took almost 30 years. Outbuildings which did not fit dignity of the chateau were destroyed. The baroque chateau was rebuilt into romantic castle in English Thudors gothic style. New green-house for winter garden and riding school were built. The whole complex was surrounded by English style park.
- Pros:A breath-taking experience, you have to see the interiors as well
- Cons:You won´t be happy to leave the Castle!
- In a nutshell:Windsor style chateau surrounded by the woods and lakes
The Schwarzenbergs embleme consists of four fields, the forth field is adorned with Turk's head with raven in... more travel advice
Nadia7's Related Pages
Hluboka nad Vltavou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HLUBOKA NAD VLTAVOU"
- "My favorite castle in Southern Bohemia"
- "Hluboka nad Vltavou, a fairy-tale castle in CZ"
- "HLUBOKA NAD VLTAVOU"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluboka nad Vltavou
- Hotels in Hluboka nad Vltavou
- Transportation in Hluboka nad Vltavou
- Warnings and Dangers in Hluboka nad Vltavou
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hluboka nad Vltavou
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Hluboka nad Vltavou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluboka nad Vltavou
Photos in Hluboka nad VltavouSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesky Krumlov Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hluboka nad Vltavou Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Rozmberk nad Vltavou Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Dresden Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Oxford Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Damascus Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Beijing 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Mexico Intro, 3 photos
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 3 photos