"Dresden - the pride of Saxony" Dresden by Nadia7
Dresden Travel Guide: 1,365 reviews and 4,083 photos
"I entered this sanctuary and my astonishment overtook everything that I have imagined." This was said by Johann Wolfgang Goethe when he tried to express his impression of Zwinger in Dresden, the unique masterpiece of the court baroque. The whole Zwinger is formed by a large open space surronded by magnificent buildings which act as the walls of a giant reception hall.
Architectual work of the top baroque period. It was also destroyed during the second world war as many such treasures of Dresden but the church has been reconstructed and opened recently. The dark bricks are the ones remained from bombing and all the money needed for this reconstruction was donated by the public and companies. The interior is just breathtaking.
Investment which pays off - reconstructed houses at Hauptstrasse near Neustadt (New Town). Sometimes hard to believe these houses were also destroyed during bombing (second world war, February 1645).
- Pros:If you are in Germany, it would be a sin not to visit this city, everythings is withing a walking distance.
- Cons:There are still a lot of things under reconstruction so beware of this.
- In a nutshell:Historical treasures burnt to ashes but brought to life again...
This pic was taken in the very centre of Dresden, it's located in the old part. more travel advice
Nadia7's Related Pages
Dresden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dresden"
- "WONDERFUL DRESDEN!"
- "Still Beautiful Elegance"
- "Back to the Future: From Rubble to Baroque Beauty"
- "Six visits in Dresden"
- "Opera and Cycling in Dresden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dresden
- Hotels in Dresden
- Transportation in Dresden
- Nightlife in Dresden
- Restaurants in Dresden
- Shopping in Dresden
- Warnings and Dangers in Dresden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dresden
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dresden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dresden
Photos in DresdenSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Cesky Krumlov Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hluboka nad Vltavou Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Rozmberk nad Vltavou Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Dresden Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Oxford Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Damascus Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Beijing 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Mexico Intro, 3 photos
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 3 photos