"Warm and wonderful Krakow" Krakow by nomad7890

Krakow Travel Guide: 4,452 reviews and 10,486 photos

Never far from beautiful sights

My concerns of traveling alone to Poland for the first time turned into joy when I arrived in Krakow as it turned out to be a very safe, endearing place. The main parts of the city are easy to reach on
foot. Walking, I found many treasures on the way to the different places I visited.

I concentrated my visit in three main areas: The area around Wawel Castle, the old center of town (Stare Miasto), and Kazmierz (the jewish neighborhood). Perhaps I should extend to a fourth place (mainly due to extra walking distance) - which is the area around the Schindler factory.

The photo shows the church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. There was quite a bit of construction in front of the church so I had to be creative to get a good picture without the cranes and equipment. The statues of the Twelve Apostles are very life-like, almost like you're standing there with them. It is a short walk from the center of town.

I planned my Krakow trip with extensive help from VT'ers and the VT pages and also used the Krakow Tourism site.

Wawel Castle

Walking towards Wawel is a beautiful experience as you follow the Wisla into the castle area. The Wawel area is a large complex featuring the hill itself, the castle, the cathedral with the museum, the treasury and armory, and the Dragon's Den.

Wawel should be visited early - some of the buildings close early. In the summer there can also be many school tours which could create very crowded conditions in the cathedral. Personally I loved seeing the different groups of children of all ages. Although I arrived in the morning, it was a little too late to be able to get tickets to enter all the places, so I am looking forward to a return visit, because I loved the parts of the Wawel complex I was able to see.

Many transportation options

I chose to go everywhere on foot, however I plan to return to Krakow at which time I hope to rent a bike to be able to ride some of the nice trails, as well as spend some time riding along the Wisla.

While there I walked from where I stayed near Wawel, all the way back to the Barbican, then I decided to go to Kazimierz. This was all fine, except that after I was done, I decided to visit Schindler's factory which is all the way back on the other side of the river. Even getting there it was ok - but oh, the way back got very long - it was a bit too much walking! I actually got close to the Schindler factory, but it was getting late and it was quite deserted so I decided to go back to the hotel, but no problem, as I am planning to return to Krakow, this will be one of the places I visit on the bike!

• Pros:Beautiful, warm, endearing - and outstanding pierogi!
  • Cons:Can't think of any
  • In a nutshell:How can you explain inner happiness after being here?
  • Last visit to Krakow: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2009

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Wow, you had pierogis on "Pod Anilami" restaurant (Under the Angels). Haha, we had VT-dinner there a few years ago. We can't wait to see you back in Krakow.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Nice looking food !

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 5:06 AM

yummy pic of the pieorgis, I'll taste for sure next year!!!! Hugs

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I bought a Krakow guide already :) it is really interesting there .. I can't wait the VT meeting there in 2010 :)

nomad7890

“Don't leave it for tomorrow ...”

Badges & Stats in Krakow