"Warm and wonderful Krakow" Krakow by nomad7890
Krakow Travel Guide: 4,476 reviews and 10,517 photos
My concerns of traveling alone to Poland for the first time turned into joy when I arrived in Krakow as it turned out to be a very safe, endearing place. The main parts of the city are easy to reach on
foot. Walking, I found many treasures on the way to the different places I visited.
I concentrated my visit in three main areas: The area around Wawel Castle, the old center of town (Stare Miasto), and Kazmierz (the jewish neighborhood). Perhaps I should extend to a fourth place (mainly due to extra walking distance) - which is the area around the Schindler factory.
The photo shows the church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. There was quite a bit of construction in front of the church so I had to be creative to get a good picture without the cranes and equipment. The statues of the Twelve Apostles are very life-like, almost like you're standing there with them. It is a short walk from the center of town.
I planned my Krakow trip with extensive help from VT'ers and the VT pages and also used the Krakow Tourism site.
Walking towards Wawel is a beautiful experience as you follow the Wisla into the castle area. The Wawel area is a large complex featuring the hill itself, the castle, the cathedral with the museum, the treasury and armory, and the Dragon's Den.
Wawel should be visited early - some of the buildings close early. In the summer there can also be many school tours which could create very crowded conditions in the cathedral. Personally I loved seeing the different groups of children of all ages. Although I arrived in the morning, it was a little too late to be able to get tickets to enter all the places, so I am looking forward to a return visit, because I loved the parts of the Wawel complex I was able to see.
I chose to go everywhere on foot, however I plan to return to Krakow at which time I hope to rent a bike to be able to ride some of the nice trails, as well as spend some time riding along the Wisla.
While there I walked from where I stayed near Wawel, all the way back to the Barbican, then I decided to go to Kazimierz. This was all fine, except that after I was done, I decided to visit Schindler's factory which is all the way back on the other side of the river. Even getting there it was ok - but oh, the way back got very long - it was a bit too much walking! I actually got close to the Schindler factory, but it was getting late and it was quite deserted so I decided to go back to the hotel, but no problem, as I am planning to return to Krakow, this will be one of the places I visit on the bike!
- Pros:Beautiful, warm, endearing - and outstanding pierogi!
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:How can you explain inner happiness after being here?
nomad7890's Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "How could you not love Krakow?"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 59 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Travel Porto Forum "Re: Stairs going from airport to..."
- Wrote a Review Don't miss the mushroom and onion pierogies! about Pod Aniolami in Krakow Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't miss the mushroom and onion pierogies!"
- updated a Krakow Travel Page "Warm and wonderful Krakow"
- Commented on one of mikelisaanna's Krakow travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- San Vicente de la Barquera Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Fuenterrabía Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Santa Marta de Ortigueira Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Pinhão Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cojímar Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Sebastián Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ervedosa do Douro Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Madrid 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albarracín Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos