"Pinhão - the Douro's hidden jewel." Pinhão by nomad7890
Pinhão Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 24 photos
Pinhão is the perfect place to stay along the Douro. It is a quiet town except during the harvest when it becomes quite busy. The town itself is very small and has some abandoned houses as some people have moved away to the bigger cities. The town however offers something for everyone. There are places to stay, restaurants, markets, and an ATM. If you have a car it's a central place. If you don't have a car, there are many taxi's that can take you to nearby places for a nominal cost. You can stroll along and stop for a glass of Port by the Douro, or go for a ride in a rabelo. One thing for sure, you are surrounded by beautiful vinyards and nature. You will become very fond of this town, and leaving will be difficult.
From Pinhão you can undertake many activities such as a hike on a vineyard, a drive to a nearby quinta for wine tasting, or just a nice quiet glass of wine in one of the many places along the river. Whatever the activity, you will be immersed in
Stay at one of the quintas or hotels with a pool, and enjoy a brisk walk in the morning and a refreshing swim in the afternoon. There is no substitue for actually being there - photos don't do justice to the beauty created by the symphony of colors and vintages.
The train ride from Porto to Pinhão is sheer joy. About a fourth to a third of the way along the trip, the tracks stay next to the Douro all the way to Pinhão and the views are breathtaking. Beautiful vineyards accompanied by their old friend, the Douro, which surrounds the valley bringing life to the vineyards.
- Pros:The joy of a small town with the convenience of a city
- In a nutshell:More than just wine tasting - you won't want to leave!
Please note I did not necessarily stay in this property, however I walked past it many times and had a chance to see the... more travel advice
nomad7890's Related Pages
Pinhão Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pinhão
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pinhão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pinhão
Top 10 Pages
- San Vicente de la Barquera Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Fuenterrabía Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Santa Marta de Ortigueira Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Pinhão Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cojímar Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Sebastián Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ervedosa do Douro Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Madrid 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albarracín Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos