"Jewels of Cantabria - San Vicente de la Barquera" San Vicente de la Barquera by nomad7890
San Vicente de la Barquera Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 112 photos
San Vicente de la Barquera is a typical and picturesque Cantabrian sea community with many interesting places to visit. From the Castle, to the beach, to walking along the ria, to the harbor, it offers something for everyone. Given its location and bus facilities it is an excellent place to establish a base for day trips to other nearby locations in Cantabria (see Off the Beaten Path tips).
This is also a place where I noticed many families with children walking around with strollers and enjoying the views. The town is very small and easy to navigate on foot - actually a car is more of a liability as parking is limited and traffic into town can be very busy at certain times of the day, particularly early evening.
The region of Cantabria is in what is considered "green Spain". Other than the "main sights" it offers many areas to hike, one of them shown here behind the church of Our Lady of Los Angeles. When you get into the woods, you could wonder if you're in Ireland - the greens are incredible and the weather is at times wet and rainy, but the hills let you know you're in the north of Spain.
The beautiful sanctuary of the Virgen de la Barquera sits past the Puente de la Barquera bridge on the way to the "Rompeolas" (wave breaker) down the Paseo de la Barquera. It is a beautiful structure that blends into the countryside. If you look inside, you will see a ship hanging from the entrance of the church - this is very proper of the sanctuary in this town devoted to sailing out to sea.
Jesus Cancio wrote the poem "Bronces de mi Costa" - the first part shown below:
La Virgen de la Barquera
tiene un barquito velero,
un bergantin de juguete
de los bazares del cielo,
y dicen que a medianoche,
cuando el pueblo esta durmiendo,
la Virgen de la Barquera
manda bajar a un lucero
y se va con el al mar
en busca de rumbos nuevos
sin andanades de espuma
ni bocanadas de viento.
... ok, being raised by the ocean I'm in tears just about now. In English it goes somewhat as follows, although abbreviated as part of the impact is lost in translation:
The Virgen de la Barquera
has a little sail boat
a little toy boat with oars
from the heaven's bazaars
they say that at night
when the town is sleeping
the Virgen de la Barquera
sends for a star to descend
and goes with it to sea
in search of new routes
without sea foams or currents
or wind gusts in its path.
- Pros:Experience a typical Cantabric coastal town
- Cons:There are none
- In a nutshell:Quiet waters and Cantabrian greenery welcome your soul.
I did not actually stay in this hotel but after dining in the restaurant twice and inspecting the surrounding area I... more travel advice
The tourism office in San Vicente de la Barquera has documented several day excursions to enjoy the beautiful scenery by... more travel advice
nomad7890's Related Pages
San Vicente de la Barquera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jewels of Cantabria - San Vicente de la Barquera"
- "SAN VICENTE DE LA BARQUERA"
- "Great invention in the northern Spain"
- "Un petit port comme je les aime."
- "Lovely old town"
- "San Vicente de la Barquera"
- "Under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Vicente de la Barquera
- Hotels in San Vicente de la Barquera
- Transportation in San Vicente de la Barquera
- Restaurants in San Vicente de la Barquera
- Warnings and Dangers in San Vicente de la Barquera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Vicente de la Barquera
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to San Vicente de la Barquera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Vicente de la Barquera
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Finding forum or chat - how..."
- Commented on one of nomad7890's San Vicente de la Barquera tips
- updated a San Vicente de la Barquera Travel Page "Jewels of Cantabria - San Vicente de la Barquera"
- Wrote a Review Quiet, peaceful, good views,... in San Vicente de la Barquera Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Perfect place to base trips to nearby areas"
- Uploaded a Video to San Vicente de la Barquera
Photos in San Vicente de la BarqueraSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- San Vicente de la Barquera Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Fuenterrabía Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Santa Marta de Ortigueira Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Pinhão Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cojímar Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Sebastián Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ervedosa do Douro Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Madrid 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albarracín Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos