"Assen - capital of the province of Drenthe" Top 5 Page for this destination Assen by Arfah

Assen Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 328 photos

2011 travel plan

The year 2011 is considered very special to me. In May this year I finally get to travel to Europe with my husband and my mum. The original plan was to check out UK, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands. However, due to time constrain, we had to settle for Netherlands, France and UK only.

Our trip began at 12.00 am Malaysian time where we departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on MH0016 to Amsterdam. The flight was 12 hours and 10 minute. I managed to book a flight departing to Amsterdam and returning from London for RM3912 (about 1251 USD). The flight was ok with a little bit of air pockets, I slept all the way and awake a few times for meals and of course nature calls.

The first destination was Assen, located in the north eastern of Netherlands to visit a good friend of mine who is living there with her family. As the flight landed in Schipol Airport, I looked at my mum and she looked back smiling.

Upon arriving we went browsing around the airport and later head to the train station, not that far from the arrival hall. It was quite a challenge since signage was not in the language I can understand, but somehow I managed. The tickets lady was very kind to explain a few things and gave a good direction to the platform.

We took the train at 8.19 am and arrived at Assen Train Station at about 10.32 am. So, the journey was about 2 hours and 13 minute. I forgot to mention, along the train ride...views were amazing. There were farms, horses, sheep and beautiful houses with pretty gardens. It was definitely an unusual sight for me. Almost all houses I saw along the way had nice looking gardens, be it small or big. Well, I'm a fan of plants so seeing gardens always excite me a lot.

As we arrived, as expected it was cold and windy. Coming from a hot and humid country, that was unusual to us. A light cardigan and another layer of shawl was good enough to keep us warm.

It was a really short stay in Assen. We only had a one night stay at my friend's home. Therefore, we didn't really get to see a lot. We had a nice walk around her home somewhere in Brunelstraat, went to check out the community mart, the city's market and browsing the shopping mall.

In my opinion, Assen is a nice place to stay. It's clean, very green. I also like the buildings there and the flowers are gorgeous. I had fun taking photos of plants and gardens. During a walk around my friend's home, all the way I was too busy admiring the gardens owned by the people living there. Another unusual sight for me. In my country, people don't really appreciate the idea of having a garden at home. I guess it's not in our culture yet. However, I must say that I own a garden at my house...a small size back yard garden and another garden at my mum's home. If you're interested to see them, check out my blog www.alittleparadiseofmine.blogspot.com. Anyhow, I hope one day many homes in Malaysia will have a garden too or even just a small size landscape would do.

The rest of time we were at my friend's home enjoying her cook and busy talking. As I remembered, I had a really good sleep that night. The weather inside the house was 20...it was cold enough for me and my mum that we were in our cardigan all the time.

On the next day, 14 May 2011 we departed to Schipol to meet my husband. Owh, I forgot to mention my husband went a bit late and missed all the fun I had in Assen. Anyway, we took the 1.24 pm train from Assen Train Station and arrived in Schipol around 3.38 pm.

I still remember the delicious chicken rice my friend made for us during our stay. I think I need to go again :)

Well, I guess that's all I can share about my trip to Assen. The next destination is Amsterdam which I'll write very soon :)

• Pros:Love the flowers there especially hydrangea
  • Cons:None that I can think of
  • In a nutshell:Simple and sweet :)
  • Last visit to Assen: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2012

Comments

Arfah

“traveling lifts my life”

Badges & Stats in Assen