"Tioman" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman by Arfah
Pulau Tioman Travel Guide: 445 reviews and 1,046 photos
There're a few villages in Tioman: Juara, Paya, Mukut, Tekek and Salang are just to name a few. Each has it's own beauty but my favourite is Salang.
Never really thought I'm going to like this place...but after a few days there...I fell in love with it. My last visit was in July 2005, which was my third time in Salang and I'm looking forward to go again.
The friendliness of the people and ambience of Salang captured my heart. The crystal clear water that allows you to see beautiful corals and variety of fishes...swimming with fishes...and if you're too lazy for a long hours snorkeling trip...Salang beach itself is a heaven for snorkeling...
Those looking for affordable accomodation with lively surrounding...well then, Salang is the place. Room rates are around RM25-RM200. Well, I suppose you can't really hope much for a room that cost you RM25...but rooms that cost RM65 and above are ok. However, my advice...please bring extra pareos...they can be very handy as sometimes the chalets bedsheets and pillowcases are not that pleasant looking...if you know what I mean.
There're plenty of accommodation on the left side of the beach but you can't swim at the beach there...water/beach activities are quite limited there. Rocks are everywhere. So, for those who're too lazy to walk from the other end to the other...(like myself)...Salang Sayang Resort will best suits you. Take a few steps from your chalet...n you're already on the beach...awesome!!!
Juara is nice as well. Very peaceful and quiet...less people there. The water is quite choppy with frequent strong waves so swimming can be a bit challenging...
Some of my favourite activities (apart from swimming, snorkeling & island hopping...I don't dive..yet)
were just lying lazily on a hammock tied up to coconut trees by the beach while reading or sightseeing and even just watching the village children fish by the jetty.
The next visit...I might join a diving class...if I have the guts to...
So sorry for the not so good quality pics...I'll do better next time...
Salang is sort of divided by the jetty into 2 parts, if you're facing the island (from the jetty)...you'll notice that the beach on the left side is filled with rocks...plenty of them. While, white sandy beach on the right side.
Those who prefer peace n quiet....with not so much of people may not really like Salang. The village is always flooded with people from various countries swarming the beach...some even stay there for more than a month or so...
The place will also be filled with Malaysians mostly during the country's public holidays. So, check out list of Malaysian public holidays before going.
Coral Island is well known for its marvelous corals n other underwater species.
A trip to Tioman will be incomplete if you don't step your feet on this beautiful small island!!! Too tired for swimming...or snorkeling...just take a rest or walk along the beach.
- Pros:Almost no mosquitos at night...or is it bcoz they don't like my blood!!!
- Cons:Swimming can be a bit risky as corals are everywhere...
There're a few sea transport operators based a Mersing Jetty but through my experience n observation, many choose... more travel advice
There're a few sundry shops on the village that sell various items, but, I would say this is almost to perfection.... more travel advice
Arfah's Related Pages
Pulau Tioman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearest paradise from Singapore - Tioman Island"
- "IMPREXXION: PULAU TIOMAN"
- "Pulau Tioman"
- "Pulau Tioman - A Rustic Paradise"
- "PULAU TIOMAN"
- "The resting place for Dragon!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Tioman
- Hotels in Pulau Tioman
- Transportation in Pulau Tioman
- Nightlife in Pulau Tioman
- Restaurants in Pulau Tioman
- Shopping in Pulau Tioman
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Tioman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Tioman
- 22 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pulau Tioman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Tioman
Photos in Pulau TiomanSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bandung Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ubud Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Lang Tengah Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Singapore Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Kuta Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 5 photos