"Ubud - felt like stepping to an ancient city" Top 5 Page for this destination Ubud by Arfah

Ubud Travel Guide: 522 reviews and 1,322 photos

Journey to Ubud

Finally, after many months of preparation and planning we went to Bali for our long awaited honeymoon. It was our first time in Bali, was so excited about the trip. Upon landing at the Ngurah Rai Airport, in Denpasar we couldn’t wait to explore what Bali has to offer. I guess much have been said about Bali...n the fact that it’s so famous. As planned, we head to Ubud first and later spent the few remaining nights in Kuta before going back to KL.

The journey from the airport to Ubud was really wonderful with many things to see along the road. Ubud is about 30 km from Denpasar. That should take roughly about 45 min - 1 hour journey on the road.
I found them so creative, having huge unique statues at roundabouts and also by the roadside. Shops selling statues, carvings and handmade furniture were abundance along the road to Ubud. Luckily I was going there with hubby on our honeymoon, so I guess shopping for furniture wasn't really fit into our schedule...maybe next time. Along the way there were also houses with impressive walls and gate. Most houses were well gated with brick walls...can't really see what inside.

Welcome to Ubud

Ubud, one of the famous town on Bali island located amongst rice fields...many terraced...up in a narrow valleys. Ubud is also the island’s major arts and culture centres. You’ll find abundance of paintings and sculptures here. Along the street just before reaching Ubud town, there’re shops selling paintings all the way on the left and right side of the road. If you go further into its village...more shops selling paintings and sculptures can be found.

Ubud seemed to be very calm n peaceful. There were vehicles and people as well...but the surrounding was much relaxing. Perhaps due to the greenery of its trees, rice fields and also the uniqueness of the buildings structure there. I was amazed by the pura (temples) and there were abundance of elaborated gate...I think they call it Angkul-Angkul...in fact houses and palaces in Ubud had this elaborated gate which made the place looked so ancient and mysterious...almost felt as if I was in a really ancient civilisation.

Exploring Ubud little town

We really enjoyed walking around the town...plenty to see. There were many dogs around the town...but never seemed to bother anyone. They were also very calm...like the town itself. You'll see dogs seating so still in front of shops...or even by the side of the road...looking almost like one of those many statues in Ubud.

To make sight seeing easier hubby rented a motorcycle...which cost only Rp30,000.00 per day and filled up fuel not more than Rp15,00.00, we went exploring the district on our cute blue motorcycle. During our motor ride we get to see the village in Ubud much closer...houses built on cliff/steep valleys, locals taking bath in the river, farmers working on their rice fields, women praying and serving their offerings at temples. You’ll found many temples in Ubud...’pura’ as they called in Balinese. They’re really unique with an impressive architecture.

They’re plenty of ‘boutiques’ selling so many things such as house decoration, clothes, jewellery, paintings, sculptures, souvenirs to take home, woven baskets, woven handbags, wood carvings and etc. Some of the boutiques were really exclusive and prices were quite high. If you want to save up...head for the Ubud Market...where you can bargain more. It’s best to go early in the morning...making sure you’re the first customer!!!

I guess the short visit to Ubud wasn't really enough...there're plenty more to see. We'll definitely come back one day.

• Pros:It's calm...peaceful...beautiful...impressive...
  • Cons:There're too many things to buy here...if you're a shopaholic...allocate enough time for shopping and sightseeing...
  • Last visit to Ubud: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2009

Comments

Arfah

“traveling lifts my life”

Badges & Stats in Ubud