"Rubbish Island" Pulau Semakau by bladedragon
Pulau Semakau Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos
Is actually the first and last landfill island in Singapore (last because all other island already has its own purpose).
The island is actually a combination of 2 islands namely: Semakau Island ( the original) on the west and Sakeng Island on the east.
They build baricades that encircle the area in between the 2 islands to create a space for the landfill.
The rubbish were incinerated first and the ashes were used to fill the area.
It is estimated that the whole Semakau Island will be fully filled by the year 2045. And by then we hope that Singapore will generate zero waste by doing 3R - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
By then the island will be approx around 30-45 meter above sea level and will be an eco recreational area.
Contact NEA directly at:
Tel: 1800-2255 632
Contact Ms Wang Luan Keng
Education and Research Officer
Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research
National University of Singapore
Contact The Nature Society (Singapore)
Contact Sport Fishing Association (Singapore)
To get to Semakau Island you have to take a boat ride from Marina South Pier. The journey takes about 45 minutes to 1... more travel advice
Travel light, bring a small bag with all your essential stuff inside, including foods & drinks as there's no convenience... more travel advice
bladedragon's Related Pages
Pulau Semakau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature Haven in a Rubbish Dump"
- "Rubbish Island"
- "Pulau Semakau Intertidal Walk"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Semakau
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pulau Semakau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Semakau
Top 10 Pages
- Kyoto Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos
- Madison 13 reviews, 49 photos
- Darjeeling Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos
- Singapore Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Chicago Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos