"Al-Khobar. Whats the deal?" Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar by Dallie

Al Khubar Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 114 photos

I'm fourteen, and I have lived my whole life in Al-Khobar. This place is a hot swamp that is full of people that are bound by rules made by a government that has yet to evolve from their narrow mindsets. As a teenager, my views are probably going to be different than most, or so I think. When you come to Saudi Arabia, most of what you will see is not bedouins, contrary to popular belief. Al-Khobar is a city and the only desert-related thing about it is the heat. There is sand, yes. People that come here from almost anywhere else receive a big, big cultural shock. Because here, people are not allowed to do many normal things such as go out in groups of guys and girls [but we do anyway!], be in public without an Abbaya [ a long cloak-like thing that covers from shoulders to feet, not exposing arms. Think Harry Potter], or drive. The list GOES ON. Women have no rights, and probably wont for the next hundred years. A man's word is rule here. Would you agree with me when I say that its not fair when my friends and I [guys and girls] go out in public, we have to worry about whether or not muttawa are going to annoy us or take us to the local police station or something? Its already lame enough that we get yelled at in public by muttawa to cover our hair. Even guys are hassled here for wearing chains or gelling their hair. I'm really trying hard not to be rude or disrespectful, because if thats the way it is here, then I guess thats the way it is. What bugs me is that I have to live here. There are nice shopping malls and compounds and restaurants to 'make up' for it, and of course, BAHRAIN!! Which is close enough for you to get to by bridge if you pay 500 riyals every sixth months. Bahrain is not as restrictive as Al-Khobar. Shops dont close on prayer times, and you dont have to wear an abbaya. There is nightlife there and a movie theater. If you live in a compound [I do], you get to wear what you want and make friends faster than if you dont. Al-Khobar is void of opportunity regarding things like clubs, activity-related classes/courses and community-related stuff. If there is, they are few, and its all taken care of by men. I survive because I have a multiple visa to Bahrain, friends, Ice Tea, lots of books, DVDs, and I live in a compound.

• Pros:Sunny weather, nice shopping malls, the corniche, and its different.
  • Cons:The mentality, when shops close for prayer time, nut drivers, muttawa...the list goes on...
  • In a nutshell:Not more than big malls, the corniche, aramco and nice compounds.
  • Intro Written Jul 2, 2005

• Mosab86's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM

I would say these rules are in all Saudi Arabia, Khobar is much modern than other cities..I guess Aramco Camp. is the best place to live for teenagers..Its just like going to the west!! cinema, boling, golf..I like freedom like You :D

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 6:54 PM

It is a shame I never met you when I lived in Khubar, nice to hear another females perspective on the place... Gosh you went to Le Gondola.... never got to go there, I heard it was really expensive! :+)

Dallie

“Enjoy it while it lasts...”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Al Khubar

Have you been to Al Khubar?

Latest Activity in Al Khubar