"TOKYO" Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to by Onedragon
Tokyo-to Travel Guide: 5,349 reviews and 14,444 photos
THE JOYS OF A CITY WITH SO MUCH TO OFFER IN CULTURE AND INVENTIVE IDEAS AND FUTURE EXPLORATIONS INTO THE FASHION WORLD AND ARTS Tokyo's rise to importance can be largely attributed to two men: Tokugawa Ieyasu and Emperor Meiji. In 1603, after unifying the warring states of Japan, Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu made Edo (now Tokyo) his base. As a result, the city developed rapidly and grew to become one of the largest cities in the world with a population topping one million by the 18th century. It became the de facto capital of Japan even while the emperor lived in Kyoto, the imperial capital.
After about 263 years, the shogunate was overthrown under the banner of restoring imperial rule. In 1869, the figurehead 17-year-old Emperor Meiji moved to Edo, which was renamed "Tokyo" ("Eastern Capital") the year before. Tokyo was already the nation's political, economic, and cultural center, and the emperor's residence made it a de facto imperial capital as well with the former Edo Castle becoming the Imperial Palace. The city of Tokyo was established, and continued to be the capital until it was abolished as a municipality in 1943 and merged with the "Metropolitan Prefecture" of Tokyo.
A PLACE THAT SEEMS TO SHOW SO MUCH %vb GUSTO FOR WORK AND YET A CITY SO TIRED FROM IT.........
TOKYO IS EXPERIENCING SO MANY THINGS THAT SEEM TO PLAGUE ALSO THE OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD......IT HAS IT'S JOYS BUT ALSO MANY SORROWS LIKE ITS' FELLOW COUNTRIES..
- Cons:WEARY IN SLEEPLESS MOTION
- In a nutshell:A PLACE TO EXPERIENCE !!!!
THE GREAT THING ABOUT THE "SUICA CARD " IS THAT IT COVERS A LOT OF MODES OF TRANSPORTATION...SUCH AS CITY... more travel advice
One of the temples that I saw in Tokyo on my way to the Tsukiji fish market was this.... ..The Tsukiji Hongwanji... more travel advice
- See All SEEING THE SIGHTS OF ROPPONGI
- See All STOROVAYA
- TOURIST HAVEN
- See All JAZZ AT THE BALLOON
- FABULOUS FOOD
Onedragon's Related Pages
Tokyo-to Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tokyo - Blend of Modern City and Ancient Monuments"
- "Welcome to Tokyo"
- "My Part Of Town - UENO, TOKYO"
- "A Home away from Home..."
- "If you keen on knowing how a real Tokyo life is?"
- "Tsudoi 2007 (Asean Countries & China)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokyo-to
- Hotels in Tokyo-to
- Transportation in Tokyo-to
- Nightlife in Tokyo-to
- Restaurants in Tokyo-to
- Shopping in Tokyo-to
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokyo-to
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tokyo-to
- 25 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Tokyo-to?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokyo-to
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 300 reviews, 1442 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 25 reviews, 124 photos
- China Intro, 19 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Switzerland Intro, 18 reviews, 92 photos
- Singapore Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 63 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bregenz Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos