"To the Top of Norway!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kirkenes by Sue08080

Kirkenes Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 92 photos

This tiny church is near Kirkenes. It is made of wood painted red and has downspouts that look like serpents! Heaters line the rows of seats.

What's for dinner?

Join us for a typical Sami meal, with entertainment.

The North Cape

This monument marks the North Cape, the very top of Europe!

• Intro Updated Jun 30, 2006

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Very interesting for me page, Susan! My father was among those Russians who fought their way forward to liberate Kirkenes and Norway in 1944. Then he served as an officer in Severomorsk (near Norway's border). I spent my childhood there...

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Looks like you had a great time. I am quite adventurous with food, so would prob have tried the reindeer. ;-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 7:24 AM

What a unique experience, Sue! I agree with you, though, I couldn't eat anything I had just been introduced to...

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 6:19 PM

I had to read your tip twice and then think about my geography, but yes I guess Norway does border on Russia. I just didn’t think anyone lived that far north. I should know better. Of course they do in Canada as well.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2006 at 3:58 AM

It looks like you had some very interesting experiences in the far north of Norway!

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 4:43 AM

So you didn't want to eat reindeer after meeting one, but did you? :-)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 12:10 AM

A trip on the Hurtigruten is one of my dreams. No driving along the steep winding roads but the wonderful scenery would still be there.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 12:38 PM

We'll be taking the Hurtigruten ourselves in just a few weeks! Cheers, Mark

Sue08080

“An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or cicumstance.”

Badges & Stats in Kirkenes

Have you been to Kirkenes?

Latest Activity in Kirkenes