"Panajachel, Guatemala" Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel by Sue08080
Panajachel Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 294 photos
This magnificent caldera is ringed by three volcanoes and many tiny Mayan villages. The hub of the area is the village of Panajachel, mainly a village of Kaqchikel Maya whose ancestors were settled here after the Spanish crushed a force of Tz'utujil warriors on the site. The old village has been enveloped by a new building boom attracting many foreign tourists and residents. The Mayan traditions still exist and seem oblivious to the modern invasion.
Although this is a Panajachel page for your convenience, I've included tips for the nearby villages.
We visited the tiny village of Quixaya to donate children's books to a fledgling library here. It was a highlight of our trip. The children and their mothers were happy to receive our books and we enjoyed their obvious pleasure looking through them. Thankfully this town was spared serious damage during Hurricane Stan.
My husband shared a bag of candy with a group of boys in San Antonio Palopo! The local adults also enjoyed the sight. There are ceramic and weaving cooperatives in this town that sell beautiful work.
- Pros:too beautiful for words
- In a nutshell:a bit of paradise
As we walked about the tiny village of San Antonio Palopo, our friend gave my husband a bag of candy and suggested that... more travel advice
We did not stay here, but I can attest to the beautiful surroundings and excellent restaurant. We had lunch on a terrace... more travel advice
Written May 2, 2006
Written May 5, 2006
Santa Cruz Quixaya Library
Sue08080's Related Pages
Panajachel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panajachel . . . Where it's okay to be a gringo"
- "On the shores of Lake Atitlàn"
- "Tourist Central on Lake Atitlan"
- "Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan"
- "Panajachel, Guatemala"
- "8th Wonder of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panajachel
- Hotels in Panajachel
- Transportation in Panajachel
- Nightlife in Panajachel
- Restaurants in Panajachel
- Shopping in Panajachel
- Warnings and Dangers in Panajachel
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Panajachel
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Panajachel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panajachel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 33 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Assisi Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Bergen Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kirkenes Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos