"Panajachel, Guatemala" Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel by Sue08080

Panajachel Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 294 photos

beautiful, mystical Lake Atitlan

This magnificent caldera is ringed by three volcanoes and many tiny Mayan villages. The hub of the area is the village of Panajachel, mainly a village of Kaqchikel Maya whose ancestors were settled here after the Spanish crushed a force of Tz'utujil warriors on the site. The old village has been enveloped by a new building boom attracting many foreign tourists and residents. The Mayan traditions still exist and seem oblivious to the modern invasion.

Although this is a Panajachel page for your convenience, I've included tips for the nearby villages.

Village Visit

We visited the tiny village of Quixaya to donate children's books to a fledgling library here. It was a highlight of our trip. The children and their mothers were happy to receive our books and we enjoyed their obvious pleasure looking through them. Thankfully this town was spared serious damage during Hurricane Stan.

Close encounter

My husband shared a bag of candy with a group of boys in San Antonio Palopo! The local adults also enjoyed the sight. There are ceramic and weaving cooperatives in this town that sell beautiful work.

• Pros:too beautiful for words
  • Cons:poverty
  • In a nutshell:a bit of paradise
  • Last visit to Panajachel: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

A very interesting place to visit-at least virtually for me. Thank you for the sites.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Nice tips, Sue. Next time I'll have to visit those villages to the east of Pana. No time during our trip last year. I have almost the exact same photo at the Hotel Atitlan on my Pana page as you do!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 9:38 PM

great page Sue!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 4:16 AM

Nice tips, photo's, and travelogues Sue! Happy travels! Blu

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 7:22 PM

Sue, as an English teacher it is so nice to see the work you did in Guatemala. Teaching kids to read and write is so important for their futures.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Beautiful clouds-and-mountains photos. And that's a very moving travelogue about the library.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 12:51 PM

A wonderful page! As a librarian myself I really appreciated what's being achieved at Quixaya - and your efforts to support the women there with their important work.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Hi Sue - thanks for the visit to my Beverly Hills page - nice place to visit! These pages are a wonderful experience and an eye-opener for us all. Will return again. Ciao bella, Carol

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 8:28 PM

Susan, good for you for donating books. Too bad many people in the US take for granted what we have, like books. BTW, Panajachel reminds me of the Taal area in the Philippines.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 2:04 PM

Fantastic looking scenery around the lake and very colourful crafts too!

Sue08080

“An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or cicumstance.”

Badges & Stats in Panajachel

Have you been to Panajachel?

Latest Activity in Panajachel