"Identity Is a Work In Progress" tpbalazs's Profile

Canadian-born, Hungarian-American

When I was a kid, a friend of mine asked me what religion I was. I told him I was Canadian. Okay, so I was a little confused. I was born in Halifax, Novia Scotia, but my family moved to the U.S. when I was eight months old. Eventually I became naturalized (I probably was already by the time I was claiming to be of the Canadian faith). My parents, however, were born and raised in Budapest, so depending on how you look at it, I'm either a first-generation American or an immigrant (if coming from Canada counts as immigration).
I don't speak Hungarian and have only been there a couple of times, but my favorite statue there (in Budapest) is of "Anonymous," the first great chronicler of Hungary.

Lutheran-Jewish-Agnostic

As for my religion, I was raised as a Lutheran, though my parents were born and raised Jews (they converted), and I'm now a practicing agnostic.

Writer-Teacher, BA, MA, PhD, MFA

I'm also a fiction writer, a teacher, and a collector of advanced degrees. Over the years, I have earned as living as an adjunct teaching college-level English literature, composition, and creative writing, an associate dean of students, a pet newspaper editor, a daily newspaper reporter, a bookstore manager, and a 9th and 11th-grade teacher at a military academy in Virginia. That doesn't count numerous temp jobs and a failed attempt at waiting tables.

Dober-Pitt-Retriever

Siris is a mixed breed too. He shares my apartment along with my human roommate and three cats.

My Other Work in Progress

I'm currently working on my first novel, based on a story from the Book of Acts. It takes place in the Meditteranean between about 35 and 65 AD. This fall, I will travel to Israel for a month to research the work.

• Intro Updated Jul 31, 2005

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 2:49 AM

Tom, in Israel again??? Welcome back! Nat

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 3:50 PM

wish I could answer your query...but interesting that you are even considering going! your homepage is fascinating, btw. hope you make the best decision possible, and have a good trip (that is, if you go)!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2005 at 11:28 PM

If you come to Greece, you could walk the steps that St. Paul walked. I would be glad to help you find a path that would help your research:):) Welcome to VT.

• Sharon's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 10:50 AM

Hi Tom, Sorry i missed the meet, hope you had a nice eve. with the guys and a good time in Israel.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 9:14 AM

If you need info, get in touch. I can tell you where writers hang out in Jerusalem. The customs tips on my Jerusalem page will tell you what to look for on the holidays - I disagree with the others who answered on the forum (apart from the last one).

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
tpbalazs's Profile Photo

tpbalazs

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.