"Pulau Pinang = Penang Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang by gnh
Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Guide: 3,110 reviews and 7,385 photos
Pulau Pinang actually means Penang Island, but administratively the other part, Seberang Perai on the mainland, is also included as the State of Pulau Pinang.
The Pinang is a common local palm, with edible betel-nuts.
The island is more well-known and visitors local and international fill its shopping centres and restaurants. Tourists buses are found all over and hotels are numerous. There is a sort of old world charm about Penang. This attracts visitors, though it also contributes to some inefficiencies.
The city is mostly populated by Chinese originating from Fujian, China. Fujian dialect - Hokkien - is the most common here. Cantonese is also widely spoken here, and you find most people conversant in English, Malay and Mandarin. Penang is quite an international city.
About 1.2 million people stay on the island proper and another 1 million on the mainland ( Seberang Perai ).
The bridge is very busy and choke with traffic especially on weekends when crowds rush into the island for its famed food and entertainment.
The view of Georgetown is impressive, with many towering buildings - apartments, hotels and offices. The tallest is KOMTAR ( Kompleks Tunku Abdul Rahman ) which is clearly seen on the right side of the picture.
- Pros:Compact International City
- Cons:Too Congested
- In a nutshell:A Little Jewel
At Bayan Lepas is the famous Snake Temple. Lately there aren't that many snakes, the forests surrounding having been... more travel advice
For short distances, take the trishaw, the feeling of air on your face and hair is nice, especially in the evenings.... more travel advice
gnh's Related Pages
Negeri Pulau Pinang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Pinang - State of Penang since 1786"
- "Pulau Pinang = Penang Island"
- "Pearl Of The Orient"
- "Beautiful Penang (Pinang) Island"
- "Pulau Pinang @ Penang"
- "Penang Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Hotels in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Transportation in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Nightlife in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Restaurants in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Shopping in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- Warnings and Dangers in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negeri Pulau Pinang
- 52 Reviews
- 162 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Negeri Pulau Pinang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negeri Pulau Pinang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 100 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Perak Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 33 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayer Tawar Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 31 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Sabah Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues