Malaysia Local Custom Tips by gnh Top 5 Page for this destination
Malaysia Local Customs: 199 reviews and 173 photos
Big Wedding Cake !
The Chinese may sometimes be Chritians and their customs are then very similar to the western fashion, though much is different beneath the facade.
Sibu Wet Market
These animals look real sad.. nicely wrapped in a bundle.
In most other places, they are kept in the cage.
Only in Sibu, do you see this funny picture. Where's the SPCA !!
Hindu Shrine On Its Way To The Temple, IPOH, Perak
Some ancient traditions are still being adhered to, especially regarding religious matters.
Hindus venerate the cow, and often their traditions mandate that the cow feature prominently in their celebrations.
This float decorated with thousands of flowers, pulled by 2 bullocks, was crossing the road Jalan Lahat, in Ipoh.
That's how the photo was taken, from INSIDE the car ! Lucky me, and lucky you too.
Shopping During Fasting Month of Ramadhan, Parit,
Many people in the rural areas don't bother about rules or highway code.
You must have known ( or read about ) the high death rates on Malaysian roads.
Be Careful !
Be Careful! Scene in Parit, Perak
In the smaller towns, be careful of the numerous ( and often overloaded ) motorbikes.
You can imagine how the riders handle such tiny machines, some with gigantic bodies too !
You'll commonly see motorcycles with 3 or even 4 people on it, especially schoolchildren being sent to school in the mornings, in the rural areas.
Malay Wedding Celebration, Tg Tualang, Perak
The Kenduri is the wedding feast which follows the Bersanding Ceremony.
Decorations are put outside the house and guest gather and have lunch and socialising.
Free TV, Shopping Complex, Sibu
People here are relaxed, so remember to take things easy.
Don't rush them too much for services etc.
Some have religious reasons to be unfriendly to strangers, though generally people are friendly.
Though at the right places, they really do smile a lot, especially with the generous tip you give ! That means the 5 Star hotels and restaurants etc.
Hope for, but don't really expect that sort of service and smiles at the backpackers club.
More Reviews (93)
- See All The Useful Boat
- See All You Should See This !
- See All Slow Down !
- See All It's Still A Dirty Place !
- See All Scuba Diving ?
- See All Insomnia ?
gnh's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Decatur Hotels
- Lake George
- Stouffville Hotels
- Graterford Hotels
- Virginia Beach
- Berrechid Hotels
- Muscat Hotels
- Chiang Mai
- Castle Danger Hotels
- Blue Mounds State Park Hotels
- Bodie Hotels
- Chuckanut Hotels
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 463 Reviews
- 1,443 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 100 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Perak Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 33 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayer Tawar Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 31 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Sabah Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Malaysia hotels
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- 5963 Reviews - 13396 Photos
- Port Dickson Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Pulau Langkawi Hotels
- 1372 Reviews - 3162 Photos
- Penang Hotels
- 2452 Reviews - 5222 Photos
- Melaka Hotels
- 1594 Reviews - 3911 Photos
- Kuching Hotels
- 787 Reviews - 2074 Photos
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- 1056 Reviews - 2780 Photos
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 930 Photos
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 1700 Photos
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 308 Photos
- Miri Hotels
- 242 Reviews - 609 Photos
- Kuantan Hotels
- 156 Reviews - 433 Photos
- Lumut Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 213 Photos
- Ipoh Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 716 Photos
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- See nearby hotels