Malaysia Favorite Tips by gnh Top 5 Page for this destination
Malaysia Favorites: 325 reviews and 269 photos
Rubbish, Taiping, Perak
Favorite thing: Expect lots of unwanted unsightly rubbish strewn all over the unlikely places. Roadside, villages, towns, cities.
Who's in charge ?
Don't ask me !
Alien Attack ! Termite Males On Mating Expedition
Favorite thing: If you like to stay in the villages, there's a phenomenon that occurs usually during the rainy season.
It's the termites which fly out at night and be attracted to, where else, bright lights -- where you are.
You need not run, for they are harmless, being the males out searching for the queen.
They get into your nostrils, your mouth, your ears, your eyes, your hair etc.
Poor souls, they all die in a mass of wings which you notice the next morning.
Resistance is futile. Do the best thing - switch off the lights !
Map Or Malaysia
Favorite thing: Malaysia is hot and humid, so you might want to dress lightly. Don't by flimsy though, as it might offend certain quarters.
You can safely wear your bikini by the hotel pools, but please don't do that in public beaches.
In spite of what the promotional brochures claim, there are many people here who do not welcome tourists, especially the extremists, though they are not obvious to the visitor.
You would definitely be asking for trouble in the Eastern states of Kelantan and Trengganu if you think you can just carry on as usual ( unless you're from the Islamic zone ).
Fondest memory: Places to have FUN FUN FUN ! = Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi, Melaka, Cameroh Highlands, Pulau Pangkor, Kota Kinabalu ( Sabah ), Kuching ( Sarawak ), Pulau Tioman, Pulau Perhentian = those places are made for tourists.
The bigger towns with mostly Chinese population are more exposed to your way of life, and you can just behave as yourself.
Places to be SERIOUS = East Coast states of Trengganu, Kelantan and all the smaller towns and villages. In those places, it's best to be unassuming, modest and most of all, give way to the locals.
That goes even for Malaysians ! Different races are distinctively different in behaviour, outlook and way of life !
Baskets For Sale, Kuala Kangsar, Perak
Favorite thing: You can find most of the indigenous crafts in the city.
Kuala Lumpur has the famous Central Market. The stuff there is mostly well-sourced, though very commercialised and often not original.
For the real stuff, you have to take time and effort to seek them out in the remote places.
More Reviews (95)
- See All The Useful Boat
- See All You Should See This !
- See All Slow Down !
- See All Modern Chinese Christian Wedding
- See All Scuba Diving ?
- See All Insomnia ?
gnh's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Crab Island Hotels
- Mahoba Hotels
- Jericoacoara Hotels
- Arezzo Hotels
- Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 463 Reviews
- 1,443 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 100 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Perak Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 33 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayer Tawar Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 31 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Pulau Pinang Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Sabah Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Malaysia hotels
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- 5929 Reviews - 13249 Photos
- Port Dickson Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Pulau Langkawi Hotels
- 1359 Reviews - 3042 Photos
- Penang Hotels
- 2422 Reviews - 5102 Photos
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- 566 Reviews - 1700 Photos
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 308 Photos
- Kuching Hotels
- 785 Reviews - 2068 Photos
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- 511 Reviews - 899 Photos
- Melaka Hotels
- 1562 Reviews - 3793 Photos
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- 1038 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Genting Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 965 Photos
- Kuantan Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Lumut Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 213 Photos
- Pulau Sapi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Miri Hotels
- 219 Reviews - 533 Photos