"La Ville De Gatineau" Gatineau by johngayton
Gatineau Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 199 photos
The whole of what is now the Canadian National Capital Region has a slightly complex history in as much as everywhere in the area, including the so-called capital city of Ottawa, has had several different names in the relatively recent past. For instance, Ottawa was called Bytown a mere 150 years ago and as to Gatineau, well, It seems that Gatineau as a town didn't exist at all until 1939 and was named after the eponymous river.
This creates a little further confusion in that whilst most accounts have the river named after a French fur trader called Nicolas Gatineau who apparently drowned in its waters in 1683, there is also a claim from the native Algonquins who assert that their name for the river has always been "Te-nagadino-zibi", meaning "the river that stops". I suppose we'll have to presume that The Gatineau Hills (and Park) were named after the river, no matter??
Gatineau's history from 1939 however is well documented and is one of growth through amalgamation, the city growing as it absorbed its neighbourhoods in several swathes, with the last municipal re-organisation in 2002 swallowing up Hull and the rest of the surrounding former cities of Aylmer, Buckingham, and Masson-Angers.
The modern Gatineau now has a population of about a quarter of a million which ranks it as the 17th largest city in Canada and is now firmly established as the Francophone half of the Capital Region.
- Pros:Well It's Definitely Not Ottawa!!
- Cons:A Bit Difficult To Define Otherwise!
- In a nutshell:Even the naming of the river has differing pedigrees!
This is where it all happens for Gatineau info. OK I haven't actualy walked in and asked anything as it always seemed to... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Gatineau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GATINEAU - QUEBÉC."
- "For the nature lover in you..."
- "Gatineau...formerly Hull."
- "Outaouais Region"
- "HULL ..."
- "La Ville De Gatineau"
- "Gatineau: My Home Next Door"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gatineau
- Hotels in Gatineau
- Transportation in Gatineau
- Restaurants in Gatineau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gatineau
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Gatineau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gatineau
Photos in GatineauSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (109)
Latest Gatineau hotel reviews
- Hilton Lac-Leamy
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013