Hull Shopping Tips by johngayton Top 5 Page for this destination
Hull Shopping: 7 reviews and 13 photos
One of the Depanneurs on St Joseph
The term "Depanneur" very loosely translates as "convenience store" and here in Hull every neighbourhood has its own, rarely more than a couple of hundred metres from its furthest customer. These little stores specialise in providing the day-to-day basics at the times that the larger stores are closed as well as being agents for things such as bus tickets, the lottery and mobile phone top-ups.
What to buy: What really brings Les Depanneurs into their own though is the fact that they sell alcohol (tho' not "hard" liquor!) which none of the other provinces allow their local stores to do - for instance across the river in Ottawa if you fancy a take-away beer you could end up walking a good few miles to find the nearest state-run "Beer Store"!!
And so this is where Hull scores majorly in this commentator's book in that the nearest beer is never more than that couple of hundred metres away!
What to pay: Expect to pay a little more than supermarket prices but then the convenience is what you're paying for.
Address: All Over The Place!
SAQ on Blvd de la Carriere
Unlike its neighbour, Ontario, across the river the Province of Quebec allows retail sales of alcohol in supermarkets and depanneurs. However these are restricted to a maximum alcohol content of 20%.
Full strength spirits and liqueurs are still strictly regulated and can only be purchased in the provincial government-owned SAQ (Societe des alcools du Quebec) stores.
Here in Hull there are 3 SAQ outlets: Blvd de la Carriere, Blvd St Joseph and Promenades du Portage.
The St Joseph store is what as called an "Express" and has a somewhat limited range of products but the other two carry a good selection.
What to pay: Usually that bit cheaper than over the river!
Address: Various - see website
Phone: 1 866 873 2020
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (19)
- See All Strictly No Photos!
- See All Nothing Clever Just A Fun Restaurant!
- See All For the Young Town Oldsters?
- See All After A Night-out Downtown
johngayton's Related Pages
Hull Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hull, Quebec"
- "Well Signposted For A Place That No Longer Exists!"
- "GATINEAU was Hull"
- "Deus_ultima's new Hull Page"
- "A bridge away from Ottawa"
- "fourmie says "Hull is dull !!!""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hull
- Hotels in Hull
- Transportation in Hull
- Nightlife in Hull
- Restaurants in Hull
- Shopping in Hull
- Warnings and Dangers in Hull
- See All...
Explore the World
- Thimphu Hotels
- Obalende Hotels
- Hyannis Hotels
- Talimena State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Hull
- 21 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Hull?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hull
Photos in HullSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 186 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
Latest Hull hotel reviews
- Ramada Plaza Manoir du Casino
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Four Points Hotel & Conference Centre Gatineau/Hull
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Best Western Hotel and Conference Center
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2013