"Buffalo - Old & New Friends" Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo by johngayton
Buffalo Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 468 photos
Buffalo may not be the first place you might consider as a base for a visit to Niagara Falls but it does have its advantages: a major one of which is that this is one of the friendliest cities I have encountered here in the US, so friendly in fact that I had great difficulty in paying for my own food and beer.
It all started with the barman at Brinks's on a quiet Monday night who insisted that the next beer was on him, continued with a small group of new friends on to Mothers where I was treated to the ultimate steak sandwich, then off for a nightcap at Founding Fathers. With a lunch date sort of arranged with an oldish friend on the Tuesday the Buffalo experience continued at Gabriel's Gate where attempting to pay for the meal resulted in withering looks.
I had arrived late on the Saturday night, still recovering from my last day in New York, not so much hung-over as jaded, and opted for an early night followed by a long-lie on the Sunday morning. Surfacing around lunch-time it was immediately obvious that Saturday night in Chippewa Street is where it all happened!!! I have never known a WHOLE STREET to smell of the night before's festivities, especially given that this is now gone noon on a crisp, sunny April day. Not a lot happens downtown on a Sunday! The only people around were a few of last night's remnants and some street guys: all of whom said Hi! (OK the street guys said Hi, any chance of some spare change? - On giving one guy all my loose change he had the temerity to ask for another few bucks for lunch - HAH!)
In the early 20th century Buffalo was a major commercial port with substantial steel manufacturing and this wealth is apparent in the diverse and magnificent architecture in the city centre - a really good site for a historical tour is: www.walkbuffalo.com
The pic here is The Statler Towers which purports to be the World's first purpose-built all en-suite hotel with the rooms built back-to-back to enable the plumbing system to double up. The building has had its ups-and-downs over the years and is now an office block but is certainly eye-catching.
21st Century Buffalo is attempting to reposition itself as a player, particularly as a banking and medical research centre, and to my mind suceeds, whilst still retaining its frontier/border town mentality - the wide uncluttered streets, the VERY upscale residential areas, the vibrancy of the city all bode well for its future.
The sheer friendliness of the people, everyone I met, even the street guys, was the BIG impression of Buffalo that I take home with me and there are very few cities I can say that about.
- Pros:Nice People
- Cons:Biting-cold Winds At Times
- In a nutshell:As Cities Go, Who Needs Palm Trees!!
Not a lot happens Downtown on a chilly Sunday lunchtime here in Buffalo. In fact most of the bars and restaurants don't... more travel advice
NFTA - dot com!!! This is definitely part of Buffalo trying to redifine itself, putting together modern transport... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Buffalo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buffalo, New York"
- "Buffalo and the environs"
- "Buffalo, a hidden gem"
- "Buffalo - Old & New Friends"
- "Buffalo - City of Good Neighbors"
- "Grew up in this town, left, came back and left."
- "FerdnBean's Niagara Falls Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buffalo
- Hotels in Buffalo
- Transportation in Buffalo
- Nightlife in Buffalo
- Restaurants in Buffalo
- Shopping in Buffalo
- Warnings and Dangers in Buffalo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buffalo
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Buffalo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buffalo
Photos in BuffaloSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue