"Buffalo - Old & New Friends" Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo by johngayton

Buffalo Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 455 photos

Notes From A Tourist

Buffalo may not be the first place you might consider as a base for a visit to Niagara Falls but it does have its advantages: a major one of which is that this is one of the friendliest cities I have encountered here in the US, so friendly in fact that I had great difficulty in paying for my own food and beer.

It all started with the barman at Brinks's on a quiet Monday night who insisted that the next beer was on him, continued with a small group of new friends on to Mothers where I was treated to the ultimate steak sandwich, then off for a nightcap at Founding Fathers. With a lunch date sort of arranged with an oldish friend on the Tuesday the Buffalo experience continued at Gabriel's Gate where attempting to pay for the meal resulted in withering looks.

I had arrived late on the Saturday night, still recovering from my last day in New York, not so much hung-over as jaded, and opted for an early night followed by a long-lie on the Sunday morning. Surfacing around lunch-time it was immediately obvious that Saturday night in Chippewa Street is where it all happened!!! I have never known a WHOLE STREET to smell of the night before's festivities, especially given that this is now gone noon on a crisp, sunny April day. Not a lot happens downtown on a Sunday! The only people around were a few of last night's remnants and some street guys: all of whom said Hi! (OK the street guys said Hi, any chance of some spare change? - On giving one guy all my loose change he had the temerity to ask for another few bucks for lunch - HAH!)

Downtown

In the early 20th century Buffalo was a major commercial port with substantial steel manufacturing and this wealth is apparent in the diverse and magnificent architecture in the city centre - a really good site for a historical tour is: www.walkbuffalo.com

The pic here is The Statler Towers which purports to be the World's first purpose-built all en-suite hotel with the rooms built back-to-back to enable the plumbing system to double up. The building has had its ups-and-downs over the years and is now an office block but is certainly eye-catching.

Modern Buffalo

21st Century Buffalo is attempting to reposition itself as a player, particularly as a banking and medical research centre, and to my mind suceeds, whilst still retaining its frontier/border town mentality - the wide uncluttered streets, the VERY upscale residential areas, the vibrancy of the city all bode well for its future.

The sheer friendliness of the people, everyone I met, even the street guys, was the BIG impression of Buffalo that I take home with me and there are very few cities I can say that about.

• Pros:Nice People
  • Cons:Biting-cold Winds At Times
  • In a nutshell:As Cities Go, Who Needs Palm Trees!!
  • Last visit to Buffalo: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2006

• May 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Hi John! Someone emailed me the link to your virtual tourist postings..... It's Todd, so glad you had fun that night, I know that we all did, from what I recall. I cant believe that it was 5 years ago.... oh my. Cheers and all the best.....

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Great Buffalo and Union City pages! I'm from Jersey but I took off before the language became Spanish!

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM

what a nice little page on Buffalo, our most visited US city. yes have been through the city hundreds of times but never cared to linger in it. next summer i will as hubby and children are already planning a kayak trip in Buffalo harbour.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Ahhh..my old stompin' grounds. The Anchor Bar IS the first wings restaurant. They brought it to the mainstream. I miss my beef on weck as well. I can get weck rolls here in VA now. You should be able to make them over where you are. ~

• Jun 13, 2008 at 9:00 PM

For the old and new friends - Cheers! ;-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Nice tips and great photos ;-)

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Buffalo

Have you been to Buffalo?

Latest Activity in Buffalo