"The Hoover Dam and Lake Mead" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Mead National Recreation Area by johngayton
Lake Mead National Recreation Area Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 105 photos
Considering that The Hoover Dam was built in the 1930's during a period when the US was suffering from what is termed "THe Great Depression" following the stock market crash of 1929, it is amazing that the resulting construction has superceded the basic utility of what is, at the end of the day, a hydro-electric project.
To my mind the dam has an aesthetic which is timeless, there is a beauty to its lines and the way that it adds to the surrounding landscape rather than dominates, even though it is the dam itself which is responsible for its own environment.
The dam was built with a triple purpose: firstly, as an electicity provider; secondly as a means of flood control and irrigation and thirdly, as an added bonus the dam forms a bridge over the Colorado. Estimates of the final costs of the dam range from $165 to $204 million with the initial contract having been awarded for $48.9 million and during the peak building period the monthly payroll was in excess of 1/2 a million dollars. This was the most expensive building project of its time but when translated into modern figures actually reveals itself as a bit of a bargain.
For more pics see travelog below:
As with its more Easterly sibling Lake Powell, further upriver, Lake Mead is primarily designed as a water sport activities area with several marinas dotted around the banks. There are however several easily accessible picnic areas and several hiking trails.
- Pros:Ideal for a picnic lunch and a beer!
- Cons:Not really a day trip sort of place.
- In a nutshell:Man-made Magnificence
I didn't actually do this but the Bureau of Reclamation offers self-paced tours of the dam called The Discovery Tour... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Lake Mead National Recreation Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L a k e M e a d"
- "The Hoover Dam and Lake Mead"
- "On the way to the Grand Canyon"
- "Lake Mead National Recreation Area"
- "Lake Mead"
- "Lake Mead like you've never seen it before"
- "Lake Mead Ski Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Lake Mead National Recreation Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have you ever experienced an..."
- Commented on one of mcpangie's Lake Mead National Recreation Area travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the Engineering Wonders of the World"
- updated a Lake Mead National Recreation Area Travelogue "One of the Engineering Wonders of the World"
- Wrote a Review Hoover Dam Tours in Lake Mead National Recreation Area Things to Do
Photos in Lake Mead National Recreation AreaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue