"Where The Bars Have No Name" Union City by johngayton

Union City Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos

Language Lessons

When I travel abroad I try to learn at least the basics of the language - "Hello", "Please", "Thank You" and most importantly how to order a beer!

For this, my first, visit to New York I assumed that language would not be a problem (even though I knew the Yanks didn't actually speak proper English!). Nothing then had prepared me for the fact that Union City, where my hotel was located, is actually a an entirely different beast from New York so far as language is concerned.

Here English probably only just scrapes into 3rd place as the most commonly used language with Hispanic predominating, closely followed by whatever of the Chinese tongues was in use. Not even my minute Italian repertoire came in the slightest bit useful, even in the pizzerias!!

Yep, it was quite wierd to walk into a bar (the one with no name), ask for a beer and find that the server had to go fetch the owner to translate!

Union City is certainly an experience, but not, I should add, an unpleasant one, merely an unexpected culture-shock. I really should have done a bit more homework before venturing out and about on the streets.

Having gotten over the "culture-shock" (and the language barrier) I found myself liking this oddball of a place and especially Freddy and the girls hospitality ;))

• Pros:Very Cheap Place To Visit
  • Cons:Bars very few and far between
  • In a nutshell:Probably would have helped had I seen the place in daylight
  • Last visit to Union City: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2014

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Seems this is the place of night photos! ;-) Gillybob greetings

• johngayton's Profile Photo
      Sep 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Hi and tx for the visit Gilly - Yes I spent most of my days in New York then returned to Union City when it started to get dark.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Happy Birthday John! I see you survived Jersey.

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Union City

Have you been to Union City?

Latest Activity in Union City