"Where The Bars Have No Name" Union City by johngayton
Union City Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos
When I travel abroad I try to learn at least the basics of the language - "Hello", "Please", "Thank You" and most importantly how to order a beer!
For this, my first, visit to New York I assumed that language would not be a problem (even though I knew the Yanks didn't actually speak proper English!). Nothing then had prepared me for the fact that Union City, where my hotel was located, is actually a an entirely different beast from New York so far as language is concerned.
Here English probably only just scrapes into 3rd place as the most commonly used language with Hispanic predominating, closely followed by whatever of the Chinese tongues was in use. Not even my minute Italian repertoire came in the slightest bit useful, even in the pizzerias!!
Yep, it was quite wierd to walk into a bar (the one with no name), ask for a beer and find that the server had to go fetch the owner to translate!
Union City is certainly an experience, but not, I should add, an unpleasant one, merely an unexpected culture-shock. I really should have done a bit more homework before venturing out and about on the streets.
Having gotten over the "culture-shock" (and the language barrier) I found myself liking this oddball of a place and especially Freddy's and the girl's hospitality ;))
- Pros:Very Cheap Place To Visit
- Cons:Bars very few and far between
- In a nutshell:Probably would have helped had I seen the place in daylight
Union City is 20 minutes from Manhattan by local bus. It's about 20 minutes to Jersey City and also allows easy access... more travel advice
This is very much towards the budget end of the market as far as a New York/New Jersey visit is concerned, but that is... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Union City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where The Bars Have No Name"
- "Union City"
- "Union City "The little Havana of New Jersey""
- See All...
- Hotels in Union City
- Transportation in Union City
- Nightlife in Union City
- Restaurants in Union City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Union City
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Union City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Anywhere You Want To Go You Can!"
- Wrote a Review Anywhere You Want To Go You Can! in Union City Transportation
- updated a Union City Travel Page "Where The Bars Have No Name"
- Commented on one of NJ_nonstop's Union City travel pages
Photos in Union CitySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos