Portland Restaurant Tips by johngayton
Portland Restaurants: 76 reviews and 57 photos
This is the restaurant in the lobby at The Eastland Park Hotel. At the time of my visit it was called Adele's.
UPDATE 2007 - Checking facts on thier website this seems to have been revamped into the 157 Cafe and Bar. The menu however seems to be pretty much the same and of course has several variations on the lobster theme.
It may have changed but here's my experience:
It was a quiet Sunday. I was more than happy to eat at the bar with a couple of other residents - no point in sitting in an empty dining room. The couple of other residents were a self-made golfer guy and a pair of suitably attractive ladies. My accent impressed the ladies. The golfer guy asked me which courses I'd played.
"The New, the Eden, the Jubilee and obviously the Old Course." I replied.
"You're full of sh-eye-t!"
"Nah I know that I need at least 12 balls just to get round the course. If they don't end up in the sea, they'll be out of bounds on the landside."
"What's your handicap?"
"36 and my mates will give me an extra shot if I'm struggling."
This guy seemed to be a serious golfer and so I told him about "The Road" ( out of bounds). I told him about the inshore rules when your ball was in the sea. HA! His lady friends seemed to find me amusing.
So I just walked him through the course, hole by hole. He ended up bug-eyed. "You're full of sh-eye-t!"
Well, having now been told twice that I'm "Full of ..." I reckoned I had to respond - "You're the first Republican I've met in my 3 months in the US and you fit!".
The spectularly-bodied brunettte laughed. I winked. The barman grinned diplomatically. I picked up the tab for all four of us and added a decent tip. Mr Golfer was on the phone to his Mafia mates - it seems my life was only worth $10,000.
Favorite Dish: Well it has to be the lobster, and I didn't see the point in having it anything but plain boiled and served with pulled butter. This was absolutely spot on, nothing clever, just perfectly cooked, meaty, flavoursome and tender lobster with a set of claw crackers, a lobster pick and copious napkins (that'll be serviettes in yankspeak). Drooling still with the memory!!
And if memory serves me correctly the 1 and 1/2 lb lobster was less than $20 - a bargain to boot!!
Address: Eastland Park Hotel, 157 High Street.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just off the hotel lobby (the hotel being in the heart of Downtown just off Congress Square)
Phone: 207 775 5411
More Reviews (5)
johngayton's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coast and Trees for Dual Touring"
- "A beautiful town seated by the sea"
- "Portland, Maine"
- "Autumn to Spring"
- "Welcome to Portland"
- "Portland, Maine....a happening place!!"
- "Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portland
- Hotels in Portland
- Transportation in Portland
- Nightlife in Portland
- Restaurants in Portland
- Shopping in Portland
- Warnings and Dangers in Portland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
- Posted in Travel Sunny Beach Forum "Re: Good complex in Sunny Beach..."
- updated a Portland Travel Page "Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!"
- Commented on one of Jefie's Portland travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wander Down To The Docks"
- Wrote a Review Wander Down To The Docks in Portland Things to Do
Photos in PortlandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 65 reviews, 280 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos