"Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!" Portland by johngayton
Portland Travel Guide: 345 reviews and 602 photos
I'd tagged Portland on as an overnight stay onto my northeast visit simply to try the Maine lobster. I had no particular expectations from the city itself.
Gobsmacked! Instead of a nondescript visit and maybe a good lobster I instead caught a good hotel, which didn't cost a fortune. I met some really nice people, drank a huge quantity of beer, along with a few whiskies.
I also caught a hugely succulent lobster - or succulently huge: maybe a decision for the Supreme Court - "The People v The Lobster" - which way round do you decide ??
The lobster decision aside, the most memorable part was getting involved in some sort of Hokey-Cokey ;-)) It was definitely "Hokey-Cokey" as opposed to "Hokie-Pokie" - I know the difference LOL!
When I woke up on the Monday morning with a smile on my face I was pissed that I had to be back in Boston that evening. My flight on to Denver was booked and my Boston hotel already paid for - Ach, 20/20 hindsight is indeed a painful thing.
The story of Larry LaPrise, the originator of "The Hokey Cokey", who died peacefully in his sleep aged 93:
In his will he had specified that he wanted a proper burial in an oak casket in the family plot. The family, of course, acceded to his request.
Death formalities completed, the undertakers duly arrived to collect the body. They maneouvered the casket to the bedside. Reverently picking up the body they put the left leg into the coffin - that's when the problems started!
Sunday night in Portland, at Brian Boru's, we drank to the memory of old Larry. Also we toasted the memory of a few other folk hereos, as numerous as there were whiskies on the shelf!!
This caught my eye as I walked down towards the harbour in search of my lobster. The sculpture is outside the L.D.M. Sweat Memorial Gallery which I didn't have time to visit (what with it being closed on the Sunday night and me having to leave early the following morning) but it intrigued me enough to make me wish I had had the time.
Try www.portlandmuseum.org and click on the link to the gallery, it does look worth a visit.
- Pros:Nice People and Excellent Lobster
- Cons:None that I could find in my short visit.
- In a nutshell:More Than Just Lobster and Without the Movie Stars!
Unfortunately my only visit was on a quiet Sunday evening when nothing much was happening down at the harbour apart from... more travel advice
The Portland transit centre at 100 Thompson's Point Road is where the Amtrak DownEaster terminates and has connections... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A beautiful town seated by the sea"
- "Coast and Trees for Dual Touring"
- "Portland, Maine"
- "Autumn to Spring"
- "Welcome to Portland"
- "Portland, Maine....a happening place!!"
- "Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portland
- Hotels in Portland
- Transportation in Portland
- Nightlife in Portland
- Restaurants in Portland
- Shopping in Portland
- Warnings and Dangers in Portland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (186)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Next Top 10 - Best Displays..."
- updated a Portland Travel Page "Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!"
- Commented on one of Jefie's Portland travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wander Down To The Docks"
- Wrote a Review Wander Down To The Docks in Portland Things to Do
Photos in PortlandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 82 reviews, 234 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 60 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue