"Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!" Portland by johngayton

Portland Travel Guide: 332 reviews and 565 photos

Sunday Night In Downtown Portland

I'd tagged Portland on as an overnight stay onto my northeast visit simply to try the Maine lobster. I had no particular expectations from the city itself.

Gobsmacked! Instead of a nondescript visit and maybe a good lobster I instead caught a good hotel, which didn't cost a fortune. I met some really nice people, drank a huge quantity of beer, along with a few whiskies.

I also caught a hugely succulent lobster - or succulently huge: maybe a decision for the Supreme Court - "The People v The Lobster" - which way round do you decide ??

The lobster decision aside, the most memorable part was getting involved in some sort of Hokey-Cokey ;-)) It was definitely "Hokey-Cokey" as opposed to "Hokie-Pokie" - I know the difference LOL!

When I woke up on the Monday morning with a smile on my face I was pissed that I had to be back in Boston that evening. My flight on to Denver was booked and my Boston hotel already paid for - Ach, 20/20 hindsight is indeed a painful thing.

The Hokey Cokey

The story of Larry LaPrise, the originator of "The Hokey Cokey", who died peacefully in his sleep aged 93:

In his will he had specified that he wanted a proper burial in an oak casket in the family plot. The family, of course, acceeeded to his request.

Death formalities completed, the undertakers duly arrived to pick up the body. They manouvered the casket to the bedside. Reverently picking up the body they put the left leg into the coffin - that's when the problems started!

Sunday night in Portland, at Brian Boru's, we drank to the memory of old Larry. Also we toasted the memory of a few other folk hereos, as numerous as there were whiskies on the shelf!!

Portland Being Arty

This caught my eye as I walked down towards the harbour in search of my lobster. The sculpture is outside the L.D.M. Sweat Memorial Gallery which I didn't have time to visit (what with it being closed on the Sunday night and all and me having to leave early the following morning) but it intrigued me enough to make me wish I had had the time.

Try www.portlandmuseum.org and click on the link to the gallery, it does look worth a visit.

• Pros:Nice People and Excellent Lobster
  • Cons:None that I could find in my short visit.
  • In a nutshell:More Than Just Lobster and Without the Movie Stars!
  • Last visit to Portland: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 6, 2009

• SteedJnr's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM

A "Slightly drunk John" - Ha there's an oxymoron if I ever read one!! Cokey for me though - English being my lingua franca. HIC!

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM

It's the Hokey Pokey..usually. We call them napkins here, serviettes is French, and many Mainerds are of French Canadian descent. I spent a few years up in Maine...I love it there. It's magical! ~

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 3:21 PM

POKIE! I can just imagine a slightly drunken John dancing the hokie POKIE!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Portland

Have you been to Portland?

Latest Activity in Portland