"Where to start?" Top 5 Page for this destination Keystone by johngayton

Keystone Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 119 photos

Not a pub!

Here I am just back from Colorado, with a slight detour via Essex, going through my pics. The difficult bit is where to start and so I will start with the bit that I found most difficult.

By the way the pub pics will follow, but probably under "warnings and dangers", for reasons which will become obvious.......they will be obvious, trust me!

Ach, here's me digressing before I have even started. OK back to subject - difficulties! The reason why I am introducing this page with this pic is that it took me a week to get it. I was staying with a VT friend for the week and on day one noticed a pair of bluejays flirting amongst the trees at the back of her condo, but every attempt I made to photograph them they seemed to be always on the move, as soon as they were in camera they had flown on before I had a chance to get the pic.

After about three days I managed to get this one, and a few others, but never one of both of them together - I also missed a woodpecker drilling on a tree trunk, which I just wasn't fast enough for either. Looking on the bright side though, that's a pretty damn good excuse for a return visit soonest - add that to the fact that I never did get to the restaurant on top of the mountain, nor did I ever attempt to try cross-country skiing and a few other things yet to be done makes a return trip absolutely inevitable.

UPDATE 20-2-06 THE INEVITABLE HAPPENS!!!!!!

No Pub Here Either!

And so here I am back in Colorado in training for the 2010 Olympics!

In fact I am lying big-time! What I AM in training for is for the journey down to the nearest pub which is about a mile and a half away, all downhill :)

This morning was my first ever attempt at cross-country skiing and, strange but true, my route WAS about one and a half miles, but it did take me about an hour. I'm not too worried about technique, just got to work on my speed - can't waste all that valuable drinking time!

• Pros:Clean, Crisp, Clear Air
  • Cons:No-smoking Bars!
  • In a nutshell:Not Only for Us Skiers!
  • Last visit to Keystone: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2011

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM

What do you know. This new format gives me a headache.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Hello, John! Please come to Ukraine, too, and take candid photos of OUR pretty young ladies...

• Apr 27, 2007 at 10:17 AM

John, that was indeed some sweet deal on the skiwear!! ;-).. Got my initiation into x-country skiing only this past winter, next door in the Gatineau's. Lovely page you have on Keystone!!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2006 at 11:38 AM

Funny thing about any restaurant at the top of a cable car ride - there is always something "missing'. Kinda like those rotating restaurants at the tops of buildings or needles. Enjoyed your Keystone page very much! Good for some laughs!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 12:09 AM

In my neck of the woods (Nevada), the local prisoners are shuttled up to clear the hydrants after large storms (sometimes 6+ ft)

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 2:08 AM

Mr Restaurant Tip Writer Supreme you are pal. EXCELLENT. What was the waiter wearing?

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 5:12 PM

If you get anywhere near Florida please let me know!!

johngayton Visits Here Frequently!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Keystone

Have you been to Keystone?

Latest Activity in Keystone