"The "Atlantis" of Colorado" Dillon by johngayton
Dillon Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 52 photos
Situated pretty much in the heart of Summit County, the modern reincarnation of Dillon still fulfils its original function but instead of servicing the mining community its new role is now centred around tourism and in particular winter sports.
The town became established in the mid to late 1800's on the back of the respective gold and silver rushes, primarily as a trading post. As the city of Denver grew eyes were cast towards the area as a potential high-country water source for the city and in the 1950's the decision was made to site a reservoir where town was located. Construction on the dam began in the late 50's and the new reservoir completed in 1963.
Of the old Dillon only a few buildings were relocated, including the famous Arapahoe Cafe and Pub, the rest of the town being drowned by the rising waters of the reservoir. Towards the end of summer, when water levels are at their lowest, the bell tower of the old church can often be sighted.
- Pros:Arapahoe Cafe, Pug Ryans Brewery.
- Cons:None that I can think of at time of writing.
- In a nutshell:Functionality rather than ascetics.
On a visit to Dillon, without foreknowledge, it comes as some surprise to find that the town is virtually totally modern... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Dillon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Davidp1952's new Dillon Page"
- "The "Atlantis" of Colorado"
- "John195123's new Dillon Page"
- "flatironvws's Dillon Page"
- "What a chill break"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dillon
- Hotels in Dillon
- Transportation in Dillon
- Restaurants in Dillon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dillon
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Dillon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dillon
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos