"Williams - A Very Pleasant Surprise" Top 5 Page for this destination Williams by johngayton

Williams Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 156 photos

Down the road (railroad too) from The Grand Canyon

Much as I've enjoyed my US city visits and doing the touristy bits such as The Grand Canyon, Arches & etc. it is the small towns that have really made my trip. Williams is yet another one to add to my list of places where I wished I'd devoted more time. Williams has a wonderful "Old West" feel to it and in fact most of the buildings date from the turn of the 19th/20th centuries.

Situated on Route 66 Williams is an ideal stopover for Grand Canyon visits with both road and rail links, but in addition is a town worth a visit in its own right with its quirky shops, restaurants and bars. I especially liked the idea of staying at "The Red Garter Bar and Bakery", a former bordello.

Unfortunately we had just used the town as a stopover between the Canyon and Las Vagas and booked a hotel on the outskirts, but with hindsight (good old 20/20) should have spent another day at least here (especially the way that Vagas went - page to follow!).

• Pros:Enigmatic and Friendly
  • Cons:None that I could see.
  • In a nutshell:A touch of the Old West with a bit of style.
  • Last visit to Williams: Apr 2006
  • Intro Written Jul 18, 2006

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I would have liked to have included a stop here during last year's USA trip but I just couldn't get it to work into my schedule - still, there's many a trip still to be had!!! Gillybob greetings

• flora1's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 2:11 PM

I'm glad to see you enjoyed Williams as much as we did!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Williams

Have you been to Williams?