"Exactly What It Says On The Label!" Saint Peter Port by johngayton
Saint Peter Port Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 88 photos
Saint Peter was one of the Biblical twelve apostles of Christ. Recruited from being a fisherman to become "a fisher of men" he is the patron saint of, amongst others, fishermen, net weavers and shipwrights and so is an appropriate figure for the Channel Island of Guernsey's main town and harbour to be named after.
Despite being closer to France than to England the Channel Islands are administratively what is termed "British Crown Dependencies" which means that whilst loosely allianced with the UK they are not actually part of, nor governed by, Britain.
The States (or Bailiwick as it is often referred to because it is governed by a Bailiff) of Guernsey comprise the main island and the islands of Sark, Alderney and Herm. Guernsey is self-governing and prints it own currency and stamps. It is not part of the EU but does conform to the European Community customs regulations and seems to be able to cherry pick the bits of EU legislation that are advantageous to its islands.
Guernsey has a unique culture and and its bustling capital of St Peter Port blends the best of both British and French lifestyles and whilst English is the main language the local dialect is a pleasant patois where French and English terms are freely mixed according to the emphasis required.
Thus you have things like the very English-style pub, pictured, which is called "The Thomas de la Rue" whilst just down the road, past Boots the Chemist and Burtons Menswear, is the Boulangerie Victor Hugo with its colouful display of glazed tartines and pains des campagnes.
For a small town St Peter Port seems quite wealthy but because of low taxation is not an expensive place to visit. Very little is cheap, cheap but rather quality things are affordable - a good restaurant meal will cost half what you would expect to pay on either of the mainlands whilst chic apparell is effectively tax-free.
This latter makes my second favourite pastime a positive pleasure!
- Pros:Continental Culture Without The Language Hassles
- Cons:Too Far Away For A Simple Day Trip
- In a nutshell:Definitely One Of The More Civilized Bits Of The UK!
Whilst it may not have the fairytale grandeur of other European castles the ruggedly utilitarian Castle Cornet... more travel advice
Guernsey differs slightly from the UK in some of its driving laws, particularly the maximum speed limit which is 35 mph... more travel advice
- See All Guernsey Bus Services
- See All Lunch With A View
- See All French and English Influences
johngayton's Related Pages
Saint Peter Port Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Exactly What It Says On The Label!"
- "Memories of WW2"
- "My New Home"
- "St. Peter Port"
- "Guernsey channel islands"
- "Saint Peter Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Peter Port
- Hotels in Saint Peter Port
- Transportation in Saint Peter Port
- Restaurants in Saint Peter Port
- Shopping in Saint Peter Port
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Peter Port
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Peter Port
- 17 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (188)
Have you been to Saint Peter Port?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Peter Port
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of johngayton's Saint Peter Port travel pages
- Wrote a Review Castle Cornet - Something For Everyone! in Saint Peter Port Things to Do
- updated a Saint Peter Port Travelogue "Castle Cornet - Part #2"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Castle Cornet - Part #2"
Photos in Saint Peter PortSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 71 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 59 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue