"Watertown and Beertown" Gulpen by johngayton
Gulpen Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 43 photos
When I noticed the Gulpener brewery as my bus from Maastricht to Vaals passed it I reckoned I should make time for a visit to the town on my return trip.
This was where my Veolia South Limburg bus dayticket (dagkaart) came in useful as I could stop off wherever and then get a later bus onwards.
I arrived too late to visit the brewery and unfortunately its taphouse was closed on Mondays but I did have time for a wander and to sample the local product at one of the other bars in the town.
I was impressed with this little place which actually nestles in the valley of the River Gulp - there's not many places in the Netherlands sited in valleys! The town itself is neat and well-kept and instead of the usual canals for drainage and flood control there's all sorts of water features and fountains scattered around.
The fountain pictured is one of a series of interlinked sculptures which runs cross-wise through the town centre. This seems to be fed by a stream running down from the hills in the background. The flow commences from the fish's mouth on the dam before entering this pool.
From here it gets fed underground before reappearing in a series of flower bedecked fountains at the end of which is a spigot which discharges it along an open runnel into the river.
With its abundance of free-flowing fresh water it's no surprise that the town has a brewery. The Gulpener brewery was opened in 1825 and is now in the fourth generation of the original family.
They brew quite a large variety of styles of beer and use mostly the produce from local farms. The standard pilsner (which is the only one I've tried so far) is clean, sharp and refreshing and their other beers get good reviews from the various beer sites.
- Pros:Home To Its Eponymous Brewery
- Cons:The Brewery Taphouse Was Shut
- In a nutshell:It Could Be Improved If They Supplied The Water Features With Beer!
Gulpen is on the main road between Maastricht and Aachen, about halfway between the two. The Veolia #50 bus stops off at... more travel advice
A short walk west of the town, not far off the main road, is what appears to be the town's resevoir which is yet another... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Gulpen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gulpen, between green hills and valleys"
- "Watertown and Beertown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gulpen
- Transportation in Gulpen
- Restaurants in Gulpen
- Shopping in Gulpen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gulpen
- 9 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Gulpen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gulpen
Photos in GulpenSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos