Hoek van Holland Transportation Tips by johngayton
Hoek van Holland Transportation: 12 reviews and 21 photos
Haven Railway Station
The Hoek ferry port railway station is Hoek van Holland Haven and is attached to the ferry port terminal building. There are trains every half hour to Rotterdam Centraal (about a 30 minute journey) and then from Rotterdam the combination of Intercity and Regional services allow easy access to anywhere within The Netherlands including night services to Den Haag, Amsterdam Centraal, Schiphol and Utrecht. As well as domestic services there's an hourly train to and from Brussels and five trains daily to Paris.
The platform for the Rotterdam trains is the one immediately accessed from the ferry terminal main entrance.
Ferry At The Hoek
Stena Line offers two ferry crossings daily between Hoek van Holland and Harwich, on the Essex coast. These run seven days a week, year-round with the exception of 24th and 25th December.
The daytime ferry from Harwich leaves in the morning and arrives at the Hoek late afternoon/early evening whilst the corresponding boat from the Hoek departs in the early afternoon with a mid-evening arrival at Harwich.
The overnight crossings leave Harwich and the Hoek at respectively 23.15 and 22.00 arriving at their destinations at 07.45 and 06.30, passing each other on the North Sea sometime in the middle of the night.
The two ships that operate the route, the superferries Hollandica and Britannica, are the World's largest and newest (built in 2010) and offer the sort of facilities that you would expect from a luxury cruise liner. Both boats have a choice of restaurants, several bars, a coffee shop, the usual "duty free" outlet (which sort of doubles up as a "convenience store"), cinema, lounges, children's play room (and one for teenagers) and as a big plus also offer wireless internet throughout.
For night crossings cabins are compulsory but with prices starting from £29 make for an economic and time-effective method of travel. These are comfortable, all are ensuite, and the overnight sailings allow a bit of extra time to ensure you get a good night's sleep.
This is my favourite way of getting to and from The Netherlands (and often elsewhere in Europe) and the "Dutchflyer" rail and sail package allows travel from London (or any East Anglian railway station) to any Dutch railway station with an all-inclusive fare starting from £39 each way. Especially attractive for me is that you can use the Dutch rail ticket as a sort of "Day Rover" and so when arriving in the morning (and when departing at night) I can stop off at places like Rotterdam, Utrecht, Apeldoorn or wherever takes my fancy so long as I am heading away (or towards on the return trip) the Hoek.
More Reviews (7)
johngayton's Related Pages
Hoek van Holland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holland's Corner"
- "Hoek van Holland in 1995"
- "Hoek van Holland"
- "Where Holland ends ...."
- "Tijger's new Hoek van Holland Page"
- "Hoek van Holland - Rotterdam aan Zee"
- "Finally Escaped The Ferry Port!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoek van Holland
- Transportation in Hoek van Holland
- Nightlife in Hoek van Holland
- Restaurants in Hoek van Holland
- Shopping in Hoek van Holland
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoek van Holland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Taitung Hotels
- Batey La Dominicana Hotels
- Rochdale Hotels
- Glenelg Hotels
- Distrito de Santarém
- La Tranche-sur-Mer
Badges & Stats in Hoek van Holland
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Hoek van Holland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoek van Holland
Photos in Hoek van HollandSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos