"As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!" Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht by johngayton
Utrecht Travel Guide: 632 reviews and 1,496 photos
I had to change trains in Utrecht, on my journey between Hoek Van Holland and Nijmegen and even though I still had an hour or so's journey and could have caught a connection almost immediately, I would still have been far too early for my hotel check-in. My train ticket, from Stena Line's RailSail deal, was valid all day for any Dutch station and so I decided on the spur-of-the-moment to check out the city.
Leaving the train and following the signs for the station concourse I was immediately engulfed by a seemingly interminable shopping mall (The Hoog Catharijne), the exits from which seem artfully hidden in order to prevent the unspent shopper's escape. As shopping malls go this is actually quite a good one, well-known throughout The Netherlands for its variety of shops, large and small, chain and individual, as well as various restaurants - it even has quite an attractive-looking bar.
I wasn't here for shopping though and, it being 10 in the morning, was still too early for a beer (even for me!) and so wandered around searching for an exit. Having backtracked several times to and from the stationhal I eventually found a flight of stairs leading to the outside.
However, despite being relieved to have escaped the mall's clutches, my first sight of Utrech proper almost made me turn on my heels and surrender myself to that attractive-looking bar that I had passed on my rambling escape route.
Internally the mall is quite appealing, but externally it is a brutally modern towering behemoth, abutting the busy main road into the city. Along the road, on both sides, are further examples of concrete and glass ugliness and the road itself is flanked on both sides by concrete crash barriers protecting the cycle paths from the twin lanes of the pelting city traffic.
This certainly wasn't what I'd been expecting for my introduction to what I had gathered is one of The Netherlands' most historical cities.
Fortunately the railway station is relatively close to the city centre and so I took a walk towards it anyway, with that little bar in the mall as my plan B should I be disappointed with what I'd find.
After about 5 minutes walk through the concrete and glass jungle I was heartened to glimpse, a couple of hundred metres on my right, a proper bit of Dutch brickwork shyly peeping out from behind the garishly signposted corner of a glaringly-glassy 3-storey shop facade.
On arrival and rounding the corner I was greeted by the most perfect example of the archetypal Old Dutch city centre - a brick-built canal avenued by stunningly beautiful autumn-foliaged trees and lined both sides by the ornate gable-fronted buildings I had come to expect from my visits elsewhere in the country.
The Old Town of Utrecht really is a pleasant place to wander with its varying architecture, its uniquely-structured canals. As to be expected there are some magnificent churches, the most interesting being the Dom Tower and the remains of its church - by all accounts when this was built in the 1300's there wasn't enough money to buttress the walls and the nave collapsed during a storm in 1674 and was never rebuilt. The Dom Tower is the tallest in The Netherlands at 112 metres and there is a local law prohibiting any taller buildings from being constructed in the city.
I only had a couple of hours here which I spent variously wandering, with a coffee break and a light lunch but was very impressed with this little "city-within-a-city".
This really is a pleasant, laid-back place with plenty of temptations for a return visit.
UPDATE Now revisited for the inaugural VT Sinterklaas meet in December 2012 - see Travelogue #2 below:
- Pros:Exquisitely-preserved Old Town
- Cons:Some ugly modernity surrounding it.
- In a nutshell:Very Dutch, Very Laid-back and Very Much Worth A Revisit!
Winkel van Sinkel (Sinkel's Shop) is definitely the most eye-catching building on the Old Canal here in Utrecht. It was... more travel advice
This chunk of carved sandstone on the Domplein, just outside the entrance to the Pandhof Garden of the Domkerk, was a... more travel advice
Written Oct 15, 2008
Some "arty" Photos
Written Jan 2, 2013
The First Ever VT Sinterklaas Meeting :-)
johngayton's Related Pages
Utrecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utrecht - superb city to live in and/or to explore"
- "ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)"
- "As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!"
- "Right in the middle."
- "Back in town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utrecht
- Hotels in Utrecht
- Transportation in Utrecht
- Nightlife in Utrecht
- Restaurants in Utrecht
- Shopping in Utrecht
- Warnings and Dangers in Utrecht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utrecht
- 20 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Utrecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utrecht
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Would YOU be missed?"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Utrecht travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ideal For Watching The World Go By in Utrecht Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ideal For Watching The World Go By"
- updated a Utrecht Travelogue "The First Ever VT Sinterklaas Meeting :-)"
Photos in UtrechtSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Utrecht hotel reviews
- Golden Tulip Utrecht
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Apollo Hotel Utrecht
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hostel B&B Utrecht City Center
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Strowis Budget Hostel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Park Plaza Utrecht
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Court Hotel City Centre Utrecht
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Utrecht
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Little Siam Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 14, 2013
- Hotel Mitland
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- NH Centre Utrecht
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- NH Utrecht
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Carlton President Hotel
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013