Ohrid Hotel Tips by johngayton
Ohrid Hotels: 728 reviews and 215 photos
My Downstairs Apartment
...the welcome is friendly.
And friendly it certainly was here at Apartments Kosta.
Although I'd booked my apartment through www.booking.com the apartment owner emailed me a personal confirmation and then a couple of days before I was due to arrive he emailed again to confirm final details and asked for my estimated time of arrival. With a day of travelling planned, as part of the excellently organised Euromeet 2011, I emailed back that I wouldn't arrive until after 10 pm. "That's OK, see you then." was the cheerily worded reply.
My arrival time was roughly as expected and after a very brief unintended diversion (ie I got slightly lost) I found the apartment exactly where it should have been. Mr Kosta had obviously been keeping an eye open for me as before I'd even found the bell the lights came on and down he came from his upstairs flat.
After a friendly introduction I profferred my passport which he waved aside, "Tomorrow we do the paperwork." and instead showed me into my apartment. As expected for the price (very cheap!) everything was pretty basic but "everything" was the operative word. Although compact my room had the expected bed, a small round table in the corner with a couple of stools, a comfortable-looking armchair, a television, fridge, a single ring electric stove, a cupboard full of assorted crockery, cutlery and utensils and best of all a jar of proper coffee and a little pot in which to make it.
Kosta showed me how to turn on the hot water tank, the wall mounted room heater (if I needed it) and with a flourish pulled out a rug from under the bed upon which was a pair of flip-flops - OK there was no embroidered bathrobe to go with them but I seemed to have everything I needed.
Having bade him goodnight I sorted myself out with a coffee and cigarette as I considered going out for a beer but for once bed had more appeal.
Next thing I knew it was morning!
Ouside my room was a little courtyard which despite still being in the shade was warm enough to sit outside with my morning coffee (and of course cigarette) whilst I waited for the water tank to heat up. This was where a couple of flaws showed up - firstly the advertised internet connection was non-existent and secondly the hot water just didn't happen. In the case of the former it seems that the two bottom apartments don't get a good signal and in the latter I should have switched the tank on the night before. But hey I don't mind a coolish shower and there was a perfectly good little cafe round the corner with freebie WiFi.
I didn't catch Kosta that morning and it wasn't until later that day when I'd popped back to freshen up before dinner that I managed to give him my passport so that he could do the paperwork. I offered to pay in advance but once again tomorrow seemed to be good enough.
Unique Qualities: For the combination of price, location and facilities this was ideal. The main square was a minute away. as were the waterfront bars and the old city's sights began literally outside my front door.
I was only here for three nights, with two full days, but nothing seemed a problem and everytime I came and went I always got a cheery greeting.
Address: Car Samuil 26
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: At the lower gate into the old city, just off the main square.
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (31)
- See All Lake Ohrid Flora And Fauna
- Keep On Walking!
- Have Musician Will Travel
- Where To Get Your Touristy Bits!
johngayton's Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hotell Zinkensdamm
- Golden Sand Beach Resort
- Samode Haveli
- Days Inn Destin
- Linda Garland's Bali Houses
- Hostal Van Gogh
- Super 8 Motel Fairmont
- Hotel Capitole
- Harbour Nights Guest House
- Victoria Hostal Malaga
- Sheraton Chapel Hill
- Monk's Barn Farm
- Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 32 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
Photos in OhridSee All Photos (108)
Read real reviews about Ohrid Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 186 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
Latest Ohrid hotel reviews
- Hotel Park
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2009
- Hotel Desaret
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- Hotel Riviera
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2011
- DEFUNCT - Palace Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Aleksandrija
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2012
- Antonio Guesthouse
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Hotel Metropol
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Millenium Palace
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Anastasia Homestay
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2011
- Elesec Car Camp
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Villa Dea
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Hotel Sileks
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2012
- Hotel Tino
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Grebnos Stone-house Apartments
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Gradiste Car Camp (Autokamp Gradiste)
- 1 Review & Opinion
- on the lake...- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- other churches & monasteries- 55 Reviews, 168 Photos
- st. naum- 16 Reviews, 41 Photos
- samuil fortress- 29 Reviews, 81 Photos
- old town & architecture- 28 Reviews, 60 Photos
- st. sophia- 23 Reviews, 61 Photos
- st. jovan kaneo- 18 Reviews, 48 Photos
- amphitheater- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- plaoshnik- 14 Reviews, 40 Photos
- biljana springs- 4 Reviews, 11 Photos
See All Ohrid Things to Do