Santorini Island Favorite Tips by johngayton
Santorini Island Favorites: 144 reviews and 259 photos
The Side Street...
Favorite thing: Greek street signs can be confusing at the best of times especially when you are looking for a specific street for which you only have a Latin transliteration. Santorini manages to deftly avoid such confusions simply by not having names for streets.
If you want to find a specific hotel or restaurant etc you need to know where it is in relation to some landmark or well-known building. Thus, for instance, the "address" I was given for my first hotel was simply the hotel's name and location in regards to the main square - "Markakis - 150m down the side street heading away from the caldera, where the mini-supermarket is"!!
I can imagine it being a bit of a nightmare on your first day in your new job as the postman!
What To Look-out For
Favorite thing: There are several cafes and bars that provide free WiFi if you have your own machine - one such is Cafe Classico, overlooking the caldera. But if you are travelling machineless the best Internet Cafe in the town is this one. I don't know its name but the machines are up-to-date, it's not expensive, connection is good and coffee excellent.
Friendly multi-lingual staff are a double-plus benefit!
This is pretty much centrally-located on the town's mini square.
Local hoteliers meeting the boat.
Favorite thing: ..........no sweat. As with all the islands, and even as I noticed in Delphi when the bus arrived, the local hoteliers with rooms to let will be down at the dock awaiting the boat's arrival. Feel free to barter and to play people against each other - if you tell someone that they are too expensive, say so loudly and there will probably be someone else who'll offer you a cheaper deal!
More Reviews (36)
- See All Great Place For Informal Dining
- See All Arriving By Ferry
- Give Plants A Chance!
- See All A Day Out By Boat (with a bar!)
- Hallo Bar - Cheapest Beer in Town?
johngayton's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Padang Rengas Hotels
- Bishops Stortford Hotels
- Kiyikislacik Hotels
- Pinili Hotels
- Crystal Bay
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 39 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of Waalewiener's Santorini Island videos
- updated a Santorini Island Travel Page "It's All The Volcano's Fault"
- Wrote a Review Great Place For Informal Dining in Santorini Island Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Santorini Street Names"
Photos in Santorini IslandSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
Latest Santorini Island hotel reviews
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2008
- Sun Rocks Traditional Residences Santorini
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Rena Hotel Santorini
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Astro Hotel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Iliovasilema Hotel Apartments
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Oia Youth Hostel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2012
- Thireas Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Despina Villa (Santorini)
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 9, 2009
- Finikia Place Hotel
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2012
- Drossos Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Acqua Vatos Hotel
- 361 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Markakis Studios Fira
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- The Boathouse Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Marillia Village Apartments & Suites
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 5, 2013
- Fira, Imerovigli and Firostefani- 125 Reviews, 325 Photos
- Oia Village- 104 Reviews, 218 Photos
- Kamari and Perissa- 58 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Volcano- 51 Reviews, 116 Photos
- Akrotiri and the Red Beach- 26 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Mule Path- 15 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Car, Bike and Scooter Hire- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Pyrgos village- 22 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Wine tasting- 21 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Ancient Thira- 9 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Santorini Island Things to Do