Santorini Island Favorite Tips by johngayton
Santorini Island Favorites: 145 reviews and 264 photos
The Side Street...
Favorite thing: Greek street signs can be confusing at the best of times especially when you are looking for a specific street for which you only have a Latin transliteration. Santorini manages to deftly avoid such confusions simply by not having names for streets.
If you want to find a specific hotel or restaurant etc you need to know where it is in relation to some landmark or well-known building. Thus, for instance, the "address" I was given for my first hotel was simply the hotel's name and location in regards to the main square - "Markakis - 150m down the side street heading away from the caldera, where the mini-supermarket is"!!
I can imagine it being a bit of a nightmare on your first day in your new job as the postman!
What To Look-out For
Favorite thing: There are several cafes and bars that provide free WiFi if you have your own machine - one such is Cafe Classico, overlooking the caldera. But if you are travelling machineless the best Internet Cafe in the town is this one. I don't know its name but the machines are up-to-date, it's not expensive, connection is good and coffee excellent.
Friendly multi-lingual staff are a double-plus benefit!
This is pretty much centrally-located on the town's mini square.
Local hoteliers meeting the boat.
Favorite thing: ..........no sweat. As with all the islands, and even as I noticed in Delphi when the bus arrived, the local hoteliers with rooms to let will be down at the dock awaiting the boat's arrival. Feel free to barter and to play people against each other - if you tell someone that they are too expensive, say so loudly and there will probably be someone else who'll offer you a cheaper deal!
More Reviews (36)
- See All Great Place For Informal Dining
- See All Arriving By Ferry
- Give Plants A Chance!
- See All A Day Out By Boat (with a bar!)
- Hallo Bar - Cheapest Beer in Town?
johngayton's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 39 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 34 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Helicopters ........"
- Commented on one of Waalewiener's Santorini Island videos
- updated a Santorini Island Travel Page "It's All The Volcano's Fault"
- Wrote a Review Great Place For Informal Dining in Santorini Island Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Santorini Street Names"
Photos in Santorini IslandSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 72 reviews, 303 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 59 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oia Village- 101 Reviews, 215 Photos
- Volcano- 40 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Fira- 32 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Red Beach- 22 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Wine Tasting- 21 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Sunsets- 13 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Pyrgos Village- 22 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Akrotiri Excavations- 24 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Kamari Beach- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Mule Path- 14 Reviews, 39 Photos
See All Santorini Island Things to Do