"An Accidental Discovery" Tinos Island by johngayton
Tinos Island Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 310 photos
Having missed my late night ferry from Mykonos to Samos due to being at the wrong port, or should I say being in the bar at the wrong port, I ended up with an unplanned overnight stay on Mykonos which led to a rearrangement of my travel plans to get back to Athens for my flight the following day.
I had now missed 2 ferries on consecutive days and so decided to play it ultra safe and get an early ferry from Mykonos to somewhere which would be en route back to the mainland later that day. Having a chat with the friendly woman in the ferry office at Pier1 she suggested Tinos which has regular connections on to both Pireas and Rafina and so Tinos it was.
Not knowing anything about the Island it was pleasantly surprising to disembark and find myself virtually the only tourist there, especially having spent the previous three days on Thira and Mykonos.
I hadn't actually booked an onward ferry but had by now worked out that as a foot passenger there is no problem buying a ticket at the port even if the ferry is literally in harbour and so spent a liesurely morning and lunchtime in Tinos town.
Tinos is, as I now have discovered, the major place of pilgrimage for Orthodox Greeks with its magnificent Church of our Lady (or whatever appellation you find in the guides - in true Greek manner they are all different) up the hill from the port. I had been wondering why all the touristy shops on the way up sold nothing but religous artefacts.
- Pros:A Greek Island for the Greeks
- Cons:None that I had time to find.
- In a nutshell:Refreshing place to get away from foreigners :p
With most of the ferry companies servicing the Islands having English names such as Blue Star, Superfast, Flying Cat and... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Tinos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tinos: wind, dove coats and greece feeling"
- "Tinos, a Traditoinal Cycladic Island"
- "Pilgrimage Island"
- "Tinos Tour"
- "WORK IN PROGRESS"
- "Pilgrimage Island and so much more"
- "Tinos:blue and white"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tinos Island
- Hotels in Tinos Island
- Transportation in Tinos Island
- Restaurants in Tinos Island
- Shopping in Tinos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Tinos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tinos Island
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Tinos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tinos Island
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos