Prague Restaurant Tips by johngayton

Prague Restaurants: 1,428 reviews and 1,512 photos

One Well Worth Searching Out - Prague
Restaurace Na Klarove: One Well Worth Searching Out Na Klarove Review

Having treated myself to a bit of a "slob day", sleeping through until lunchtime and then having a good hour's soak in the bath, I was determined to be a bit more active the following morning and have a full day out exploring.

But first an afternoon beer was called for, in order to mull my options. After a couple of large ones with my new-found best friend - the landlord at Demijon, I reckoned an early start to visit Petrin Hill would set me up for the day and then everything would be downhill from there, literally!

First though I had to work out how to get there. I was getting used to the excellent Metro but the extensive tram and bus system was still very much an enigma. I can't remember now which tram my landlord-friend suggested, but whichever, I decided on a trial run that evening so that in the morning I'd get straight off the starting block as soon as the pistol was fired.

That's how I discovered Na Klarove.

Favorite Dish: On an October midweek evening the restaurant was very quiet, with only one other table occupied and so perhaps atmospherically wasn't at its best. Decor-wise the simple wooden furniture, the flock wallpaper and the half-wainscoting gave the place a sort of homely feel which fitted perfectly with the short, mostly Czech, menu - which BTW even has a short vegetarian section!

I did my usual of ordering my beer before starting on the menu, and by the time that had arrived I'd decided on the 1/2 Duck with Dumplings and Cabbage.

Service, by what I assume was the male half of the owners, was friendly and although my meal wasn't exactly swiftly delivered, I hadn't expected it to be - in fact the timing turned out to be perfect, just as I was finishing my first beer.

The duck was classically moist, with just a touch of crisp to the skin, the dumplings suitably doughy and the red cabbage, with a hint of spice, had a perfect sweet and sour finish. By the time I'd eaten, I was perfectly finished too!

I think my bill came to something like 250 CZK and so was excellent value for money and the walk back across the river into the city proper was a necessary part of the experience - HA!

Address: U zelezne lavky 16

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: On the other side of the river, close to the Malostranska tram stop.

Price: US$11-20

Website: http://www.naklarove.cz/e_index_klarov.php?obsah=j

• Written Mar 16, 2015
Definitely "Old Time"
: Definitely "Old Time" Stare Casy Review

This is a place I almost literally stumbled across on an early evening wander looking for somewhere suitable for dinner. Although October the weather was still pleasantly mild and the half-a-dozen or so tables in the arched portico at the front of the restaurant were particularly inviting.

When I indicated that I'd like a table for one I got a warm welcome from the youngish waitress who pointed me to the best situated at the front overlooking the still busy side street. She enquired whether I wanted an "English" menu, which I was more than happy to accept, and before I opened it got my beer order in, "Pivo Prosim.", as I indicated a large one.

The beer soon arrived, by which time I'd decided to try the house special, "Pork Medallions Old Time".

Although not particularly swift in arriving, which wasn't a problem for me considering I've got my beer, an ashtray and a pleasant autumnal evening to watch the pretty girls passing, when it did arrive it turned out to be a well-endowed plateful of succulent chunks of pork fillet in a garlicky cream sauce with roast potatoes and spinach.

(Note - this was my early VT days before I'd gotten into the habit of taking food pics - HA!)

A second beer was duly ordered and a very pleasant repast enjoyed. I think my bill came to somewhere around 250 KCZ which for a substantial dinner with a couple of beers was more than reasonable.

• Written Mar 14, 2015
Pizza Time! - Prague
U Zlateho Stromu: Pizza Time! U Zlateho Stromu Review

This restaurant is part of the eponymous hotel and is as central to "Touristville" as central can be, but it's none the worse for that. The terrace is on the main Karlova street, just before the Charles Bridge, which makes it a prime spot for capturing passing trade and whilst the hotel certainly capitalises on its location I found the prices more than reasonable.

The menu is predominantly Italian, with a few Czech specialities, and is pictorially presented in several languages. On a sunny October lunchtime the terrace was suitably busy with us tourists but service was prompt - well, at least my beer arrived almost instantly and then everything else became timeless.

My "Spicy Salami Pizza" was tasty, with a thin crispy crust, plenty of meat and topped with buffalo mozzarella - the couple of Staropramen beers washed it down nicely.

I can't remember what the bill was but it couldn't have been too extravagant, otherwise I'd still be in intensive care - HA!

Address: Karlova 6

Price Comparison: about average

Directions: On the pedestrian street leading to the Charles Bridge.

Price: US$21-30

Theme: Italian

Website: http://https://zlatystrom.com/restaurant

• Written Mar 13, 2015
Pancakes and Beer! - Prague

Pancakes and Beer!

Kavarna Slavia: Get a Window Seat Slavia Review

With its corner location and huge windows overlooking, respectively the National Theatre and the most Legii bridge with Petrin Hill in the background, this makes for an ideal cafe to sit and watch the world go by.

The cafe itself is a modern resurrection of one of Prague's "Grand Cafes" with its spacious, naturally-lit dining room and bow-tied but informal service. On my one visit the clientele comprised a mix of locals and tourists, the locals ranging from the besuited business lunch crew to ladies who lunch with a few shoppers thrown in to keep the balance right.

As can be expected the window tables are constantly occupied and so it is very much a case of getting your timing right, though of course you can just take any table and pounce as soon as a window one becomes available!

Favorite Dish: The menu offers light lunch options such as sandwiches and salads and also caters for the more robust appetites with its small selection of local specialities such as Braised Duck or Goulash with, of course, the famous dumplings!

Looking for a light lunch before going up Petrin Hill I opted for the "Salty Pancakes" - two savoury crepes (not salty at all) with spinach, bacon, Niva and Edam cheeses and a touch of cream. This was a perfect light lunch with excellent service in a pleasantly buzzy environment and the aforementioned window views completing the experience.

My lunch bill, including 2 beers, was less than 300 KCz which was excellent value for money!

Just as a little aside: this was one of the few Prague restaurants with a small vegetarian section on the menu.

Address: Norodni 1

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: On the corner just opposite The National Theatre.

Phone: 224 218 493

Price: less than US$10

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Budvar for Lunch! - Prague

Budvar for Lunch!

Cafe Poet: A Small Oasis of Relative Calm Cafe Poet Review

Situated in a quiet corner of Prague Castle overlooking the Southern Gardens the Cafe Poet (no amount of searching has thrown up its Czech name) is an ideal place to put your feet up for an hour and enjoy a light lunch and a beer or two.

On both my half-days visiting the castle I enjoyed a leisurely lunch there sitting outside, relatively undisturbed by the masses. With its location being off the main tourist circuit only those who have searched it out, or have been wandering aimlessly, will come across it - the only exception being one tour group of Japanese who temporarily besieged the place during my second visit - such is life!

Favorite Dish: The menu itself is obviously aimed at visitors looking for a quick bite to eat with a selection of sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes and pastries, but none the worse for it.

Translation problems are overcome by the menu being not only in three languages but by being pictorial also - point and nod being the order of the day.

I think I had some sort of salad on my first visit, which must have been OK otherwise I wouldn't have gone back again. On my second visit I had a pasta dish with julienne of fillet steak which whilst not attempting to even ascend the first rung of the gastronomic ladder was tasty, filling and cheap - washed down by a couple of Budvars the bill came to about 300 KCz - at the time about $10.

As an alternative to eating in one of the cafes in the main part of the castle with their standardised "Eurest" menues this is well worth seeking out.

Address: Prague Castle

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: In the South-west corner overlooking the ramparts and gardens.

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Coffeehouse

• Written Mar 28, 2006
Downstairs on left - Prague

Downstairs on left

The Black Baron: Intreguing Restuarant Cerny Baron Review

This was a bit of an odd-bod, but with absolutely excellent food, excellent service and a ludicrously low bill.

Situated in a basement through a portico just off Wenceslas Square, this is well worth a visit - OK it was a quiet Tuesday night in October and there were only about three other tables occupied but it had a really nice atmosphere.

I assume it was "mine host" , bow-tied, greeting, and his wife serving and all done with smiles.

Really chill evening and the food was excellent.

Menu is in three languages - Czech, English and German, and as far as I could tell so were the staff!

Favorite Dish: I can't remember exactly how it was described on the menu but "The Old Bohemian" potato soup was delish - nice chunky broth and lots of flavour.

And the venison main course stuffed with mushrooms, a little chewy in parts (such is life), was also really tasty.

With a glass of wine the bill was less than 300Kc

Trying to find details at mo, seem to have lost them.............

Address: Have it somewhere

Directions: Through portico on LH side of Wenceslas Square just after statue

Price: US$11-20

• Written Oct 31, 2005

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Prague