Balchik Restaurant Tips by johngayton
Balchik Restaurants: 1 reviews and 3 photos
When I passed this little place on a chill, but sunny, January early lunchtime on my wander along the seafront it seemed to be the only place doing any real business. More importantly one of the local policemen was having his lunch there. That was therefore a double reason to bookmark it as a candidate for my own lunch.
Heading back an hour or so later Selana was still doing quite a reasonable trade, considering that there was virtually no-one else around. As I arrived a couple of local fishermen were selling their catch from a makeshift stall and a couple of bagfulls were sold direct to the restaurant's chef.
This is a smart, modernly-upscale, looking place on the ground floor of its eponymous hotel. The menu, in Bulgarian and English, is more snacky than formal and, as to be expected, with a definite slant towards seafood. Despite the decor the menu prices were very reasonable, cheaper than similar places in Varna and certainly cheaper than I remembered from my last visit to nearby Golden Sands.
My young waiter was cheery and friendly, although we did manage to tie each other in knots when I tried to order in Bulgarian and he attempted to take my order in English - the problem being that there was no draught beer which I thought he was saying there was "No Beer" - as you can imagine that caused me immeasurable consternation! However we soon sorted that out and a bottle of Kamenitza was duly forthcoming.
Favorite Dish: I opted for the Safrid - deep-fried scadfish - which were mouth-meltingly fresh and perfectly cooked in the lightest of coatings. Instead of the normal plastic bottle of faux-lemon juice this came accompanied by a tangy chilli and ginger dressing which lifted the fish from good to the haughty realm of "Delish". The cheesy chips equally good and the beer cold and cheap.
For less than 10 leva for a spot-on light lunch overlooking the harbour this was pretty much perfect!
Address: Primorska 18
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: On the seafront, just off the main harbour.
Phone: 0579 769 70
More Reviews (9)
johngayton's Related Pages
Balchik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cute Balchik!"
- "Balchik - The Castle"
- "Not only a sea resort, but more than that"
- "The Silver Riviera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Balchik
- Hotels in Balchik
- Transportation in Balchik
- Restaurants in Balchik
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cocoa Beach Hotels
- Kamuning Hotels
- Toowoomba Hotels
- Puerto Princesa City
- Guerrero Negro
- Maracas Hotels
Badges & Stats in Balchik
- 10 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Balchik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balchik
Photos in BalchikSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos