Burgas Local Custom Tips by johngayton Top 5 Page for this destination
Burgas Local Customs: 8 reviews and 12 photos
More Fun That Sitting In Front Of TV!
It's good to see that even in this modern day of computers and telling visions that the age-old amusements are still keeping the kids interested. Pretty cool looking snowman!
In Training For The Olympics?
Here's a little trio of kids taking advantage of one of the ramped pathways in the Sea Garden. You'll notice the one in the middle doesn't have a sled but is making do quite adequately with a sheet of plastic.
This clock on Svoboda Square, next the towering Hotel Bulgaria, was formerly the clock of a nearby pharmacy which was demolished in 1985. The clock was relocated to here and is now a popular local meeting place. All three faces tell the correct time and so you've no excuse for being late!
Soon Be Spring!
These jewellry sellers on the Troika Square certainly were being optimistic on a freezing cold February morning. They were there every day during my visit but I didn't see anyone even browsing their wares - a bit too cold to take the gloves off!
Lags Day Out!
I noticed in Varna that clearing the pavements of snow seemed mainly to be left to the individual businesses with some desultory assistance from the municipal street cleaners.
Here in Burgas the job was getting done by prisoners from the local jail under the watchful eye of a couple of burly policemen. I assume that for the cons it was probably a welcome day out from the jail's confines and they certainly went about the task with enthusiasm.
Burgas Sub #1
As Bulgaria's "other" (I use the word carefully, having taken legal advice) major commercial and naval port my researches discover that Varna is the base for the Bulgarian Navy's submarine squadron.
Varna's submarine squadron is actually a single "Romeo Class" boat which was Soviet-built in the 1950's and is pretty much considered obsolete. Burgas however just has to keep competing and has built two of its own.
So here's Bourgas's submarine fleet - I just hope that they know that Varna is the base for the anti-submarine squadron too ;))
Having experienced the grime and pollution of Bulgaria's capital city and travelled across its inconsistently mired countryside it really is a pleasant surprise to find that places such as Bourgas do care about themselves and the world in general. Bourgas is a major port and industrial area and perhaps in the past it probably looked and smelled like one. The modern city however seems to have "cleaned up its act", as it were, and presents itself still as industrious, but in a clean and tidy, caring fashion.
Even the docks and their cranes are kempt and colourful, the goods sidings of the railway station neat and organised, the surrounding factories are no longer belching out industrial fumes. OK its not yet perfect but its certainly getting there and does have ambitions.
Here's a couple of interesting links:
Other Contact: www.mycoast.eu
Phone: +359 56 842291
More Reviews (24)
- See All The Pantheon
- See All The Sea Garden Sculpture Park
- Head North!
- See All Where Pedestrians Have Right Of Way
johngayton's Related Pages
Burgas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown"
- "A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!"
- "Bourgas, Bulgaria"
- "burgas and nessebar and sunny beach"
- "A night spent in Burgaze"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burgas
- Hotels in Burgas
- Transportation in Burgas
- Nightlife in Burgas
- Restaurants in Burgas
- Shopping in Burgas
- Warnings and Dangers in Burgas
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sababurg Hotels
- Fort Pickens State Park Aquatic Preserve Hotels
- Ko Rayang Nok Hotels
- `Isfiya Hotels
Badges & Stats in Burgas
- 31 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Burgas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burgas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Would YOU be missed?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Can't Say I Was Too Impressed With This One"
- updated a Burgas Travel Page "A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!"
- Wrote a Review The Pantheon in Burgas Favorites
- Commented on one of ChristinaNest's Burgas travel pages
Photos in BurgasSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
Latest Burgas hotel reviews
- Royal Park Hotel
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2013
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Hotel Chiplakoff
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2013
- Hotel Bulgaria
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013