"A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!" Top 5 Page for this destination Burgas by johngayton
Burgas Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 346 photos
Unfortunately I only had less than 24 hours here in Bourgas on my first visit but that 24 hours was enough to leave me with a very favourable impression of the city. As with Varna I immediately felt welcome as I arrived at the railway station, and strangely enough the railway station here is almost identical to that of Varna, having been designed by the same architect.
Whilst the city doesn't present itself as a tourist destination as such, it is however a very attractive city with its wide spacious streets, interesting architecture, pedestrianised shopping areas and square, the Sea Gardens and its Central Beach.
As I say in my chapter title it is "People Make Places" and without exception I felt perfectly comfortable in all my minor interactions with local people, whether in the bars, restaurants, the smiling bus driver when I almost missed the bus to Sozopol (he had actually just started to drive off when I arrived but stopped to let me aboard), the woman in the ticket office at the railway station who double checked that I knew my train connection going back to Varna, the staff at the hotel, YEP! Everyone :)
In fact the only little disappointment that I had here was when I opened my hotel room's mini-bar - Ha! (But you'll have to go to the hotel tip for that tale;))
Bourgas is Bulgaria's 4th largest city with a population of just over 220,000 and is located on the Back Sea coast in the South Eastern corner of the country. The city seems to vie with Varna for which is actually the busiest seaport, as both city's websites make the same claim, but it is very much a working port and industrial city. In common with Varna, Bourgas has managed to avoid the obvious "rough and readiness" usually associated with docksides. Instead it comes across as a cultured, laid-back sort of a place where people have the time to stop and chat in the streets, where children play in the main square without coming across as yobs, and the old boys and girls can sit in the sun and do whatever old boys and girls do when left to their own devices.
With the sun shining on a mid-May afternoon the terraces of the bars and cafes come to life and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Bourgas has it's own brewery and so made my own little contribution to the local economy!
Yes there certainly is something special about Bulgarian women whose eyes smile as much as their mouths and are just naturally beautiful - here in Burgas is no exception!
UPDATE FEB 2010
A second visit has now been duly enjoyed, this time in the middle of winter. An excellent hotel, along with its superb restaurant and sexy waitress, discovered - one where the minibar actually had beer in it! The Sea Garden and the shoreline footpath made for an interesting wander and I became a fan of the Chernomoretz football club and am now an honorary "Shark".
And the girls are just as pretty, just wearing a lot more clothes ;(
- Pros:Tidy City and Friendly Folk
- Cons:Apart from the mini-bar?
- In a nutshell:24 Hours, Definitely Not Enough And So A Revisit Made
This is Burgas's Communist-era monument (constructed in 1981) to those killed during the resistance against Fascism. At... more travel advice
Burgas has a lively year-round cultural scene which reaches its peak during the summer months with several festivals... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Burgas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown"
- "A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!"
- "Bourgas, Bulgaria"
- "burgas and nessebar and sunny beach"
- "A night spent in Burgaze"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burgas
- Hotels in Burgas
- Transportation in Burgas
- Nightlife in Burgas
- Restaurants in Burgas
- Shopping in Burgas
- Warnings and Dangers in Burgas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burgas
- 31 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Burgas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burgas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Can't Say I Was Too Impressed With This One"
- updated a Burgas Travel Page "A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!"
- Wrote a Review The Pantheon in Burgas Favorites
- Commented on one of ChristinaNest's Burgas travel pages
Photos in BurgasSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 70 reviews, 296 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos