"A Welcoming Railway Station and a Mini-bar Tale!" Top 5 Page for this destination Burgas by johngayton

Burgas Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 346 photos

People Make Places

Unfortunately I only had less than 24 hours here in Bourgas on my first visit but that 24 hours was enough to leave me with a very favourable impression of the city. As with Varna I immediately felt welcome as I arrived at the railway station, and strangely enough the railway station here is almost identical to that of Varna, having been designed by the same architect.

Whilst the city doesn't present itself as a tourist destination as such, it is however a very attractive city with its wide spacious streets, interesting architecture, pedestrianised shopping areas and square, the Sea Gardens and its Central Beach.

As I say in my chapter title it is "People Make Places" and without exception I felt perfectly comfortable in all my minor interactions with local people, whether in the bars, restaurants, the smiling bus driver when I almost missed the bus to Sozopol (he had actually just started to drive off when I arrived but stopped to let me aboard), the woman in the ticket office at the railway station who double checked that I knew my train connection going back to Varna, the staff at the hotel, YEP! Everyone :)

In fact the only little disappointment that I had here was when I opened my hotel room's mini-bar - Ha! (But you'll have to go to the hotel tip for that tale;))

A Local Brewery Always Helps Too!

Bourgas is Bulgaria's 4th largest city with a population of just over 220,000 and is located on the Back Sea coast in the South Eastern corner of the country. The city seems to vie with Varna for which is actually the busiest seaport, as both city's websites make the same claim, but it is very much a working port and industrial city. In common with Varna, Bourgas has managed to avoid the obvious "rough and readiness" usually associated with docksides. Instead it comes across as a cultured, laid-back sort of a place where people have the time to stop and chat in the streets, where children play in the main square without coming across as yobs, and the old boys and girls can sit in the sun and do whatever old boys and girls do when left to their own devices.

With the sun shining on a mid-May afternoon the terraces of the bars and cafes come to life and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Bourgas has it's own brewery and so made my own little contribution to the local economy!

And Pretty Girls Certainly Do!

Yes there certainly is something special about Bulgarian women whose eyes smile as much as their mouths and are just naturally beautiful - here in Burgas is no exception!

UPDATE FEB 2010

A second visit has now been duly enjoyed, this time in the middle of winter. An excellent hotel, along with its superb restaurant and sexy waitress, discovered - one where the minibar actually had beer in it! The Sea Garden and the shoreline footpath made for an interesting wander and I became a fan of the Chernomoretz football club and am now an honorary "Shark".

And the girls are just as pretty, just wearing a lot more clothes ;(

• Pros:Tidy City and Friendly Folk
  • Cons:Apart from the mini-bar?
  • In a nutshell:24 Hours, Definitely Not Enough And So A Revisit Made
  • Last visit to Burgas: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2010

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Great review, very tempting :) One photo is missing for the one who got an extra 'e'... ;)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM

nice page. these ladies surely smile the way i like it :O)

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Burgas