"Bulgaria: From Centuries For Centuries" Top 5 Page for this destination Sozopol by johngayton
Sozopol Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 240 photos
The town of Sozopol on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast commands its own bay with fine stretches of golden-sanded beaches and comprises two distinctly divergent settlements: the Old Town and The New.
Whilst the New Town is very much a modern resort development with plush hotels and apartment complexes, the Old Town is a living museum of this part of Bulgaria's history with its roots traceable back to the Bronze age. In the 6th century BC the town was actually an island and a relatively important Greek port called Apollonia Pontica, following which it has seen occupation by the Romans, the first Bulgarian Empire, Byzantines, Ottomans and finally returning to Bulgaria after the country regained its independence in the late 19th century.
Unfortunately I only had time for a tantalisingly fleeting lunchtime visit here which gave me the merest taste of the place and left me hungering for a more substantial visit. The Old Town is a very typical fishing village with narrow cobbled streets leading down to its sheltered harbour and is mostly undeveloped with many of its buildings being National Monuments. Overlooking the rocky coast and harbour are some rather attractive terraced restaurants which on an early May morning were sadly deserted but definitely looked promising for a visit at some time in the future and I can just imagine enjoying a pleasant seafood dinner preceded by deliciously fresh shopska salata and a chilled rakia with the waves and sunshine for company.
Having only the briefest of visits to Sozopol this time round I didn't actually get into the New Town but it certainly looks attractive (in a modern sort of way) and by all accounts is a quite lively resort during the season with good quality hotels, buzzy bars and night clubs - something else to look forward to for a future visit!
- Pros:Well Preserved Old Town
- Cons:I Can Imagine How Busy It Gets!
- In a nutshell:Out Of Season Definitely A Gem!
Unfortunately this was shut on the day of my visit but it is a rather splendid, though slightly out-of-character,... more travel advice
Sozopol has two main beaches, the Old Town's Central Beach and the New Town's Harmony Beach both of which can be... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Sozopol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sozopol –The town of salvation"
- "Bulgaria: From Centuries For Centuries"
- "Sunny, Windy and Watery Sozopol!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sozopol
- Hotels in Sozopol
- Transportation in Sozopol
- Nightlife in Sozopol
- Restaurants in Sozopol
- Shopping in Sozopol
- Warnings and Dangers in Sozopol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sozopol
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (183)
Have you been to Sozopol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sozopol
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Commented on one of trono's Sozopol travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Few Pics With Nowhere Particular To Put Them"
- updated a Sozopol Travelogue "A Few Pics With Nowhere Particular To Put Them"
- Wrote a Review The Local Art Gallery in Sozopol Things to Do
Photos in SozopolSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 73 reviews, 308 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 59 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue