"An Out Of Season Day Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Knokke by johngayton
Knokke Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 86 photos
Having bought a Kusttram "Dagskaart" for my tobacco run from Oostende down to Adinkerke and back I reckoned I might as well get full value from it and pop up to Knokke, the end of the line, for the afternoon.
My previous Kusttram journeys, between Oostende and Adinkerke, hadn't impressed me much as the line runs mostly through the overdeveloped, interlinked coastal towns. However once north of Oostende the Kusttram lives up to its name with much of the journey offering sea views across the polders and some rather impressive views of the modern docks at Zeebrugge.
Knokke itself turned out to be an attractive seaside town. Once again a little overdeveloped at the front for my personal tastes but otherwise a characterful little place with friendly pubs and an arty sort of feel to it.
Although Knokke has a bit of a reputation for being the Belgian equivalent of Cannes I found it a very relaxed town. The main shopping street, Lippenslaan, stretches from the railway station and Kusstram terminus all the way to the seafront and has something for everyone. There's designer shops, everyday shops, a cheap supermarket, a variety of restaurants and cafes, a laundrette and a "night shop".
Once you get to the seafront the beaches and promenade are obviously publicly-accessible and I believe there's a nature reserve just north of the town, on the Dutch border. I didn't have time for a visit there but it looks worthwhile.
- Pros:Friendly And Characterful Bars
- Cons:A Tad Overdeveloped At The Front
- In a nutshell:Surprisingly Egalitarian
Tracks and Travellers is a cracking little pub immediately opposite the railway station. As well as being a friendly... more travel advice
de Babbelaer is the ground floor cafe-bar of the Prins Boudewijn Hotel but despite being a hotel bar is in fact a... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Knokke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Out Of Season Day Trip"
- "Belgian coast - wild life reservation area"
- "Knokke, my paradise"
- "Is a jet-set spot...."
- "A cold coast..."
- "Not only by luxe cars - luxes train"
- "For the rich and famous"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Knokke
- Hotels in Knokke
- Transportation in Knokke
- Nightlife in Knokke
- Restaurants in Knokke
- Shopping in Knokke
- Warnings and Dangers in Knokke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Knokke
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Knokke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knokke
Photos in KnokkeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos