"Barnstaple - North Devon's Metropolis" Barnstaple by johngayton
Barnstaple Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 122 photos
...but definitely one of the most useful.
Barnstaple is unopposed as North Devon's County Town with its understated character, which to the casual visitor may not be immediately obvious and perhaps to those that live there is taken for granted, but character it definitely does have.
Off and on over the course of the past 16 or 17 years I have found myself working up in North Devon, or sometimes just visiting, and it is always Barnstaple which I pass through, getting the train from Exeter and then whatever other mode of transport from there - the bus services being pretty good for such a rural area. Whenever I have been working up here it is Barnstaple that I need to visit to do my proper shopping, the village shops where I have worked not quite able to fulfill every requirement, to visit the bank if anything needs to be sorted out in person, or just for a day out.
This is when the town comes into its own, it has everything - there are branches of major chain stores (albeit smaller scale versions), outlets of National pub and restaurant chains (Weatherspoons and Whimpy spring to mind), all the major banks are represented and the High Street has outlets of several other more specialist retail groups, though NO Starbucks (Well, Barnstaple doesn't claim city status!). Yet whilst a significant majority of the Nationals have their representatives here, what you will find is that almost every other retail outlet is in fact an independent or part of a smaller (more local) group. Then add into that the Pannier Market and its adjacent Butcher's Row, and the punctuation of small pubs, cafes and restaurants, The Theatre Royal and all the other bits and bobs which make for an interesting town and the place becomes quite unique.
Books - enough reading to see me over the next month or so.
Bank - change PIN on new card, get some cash.
Booze - drop in for a beer somewhere.
Then some non-essentials;
New alarm clock
Back-up battery for good camera
Photograph for Cliff Railway pass
3-way electric adaptor
Other to do things;
Phone calls - seeing as I haven't got a phone line, nor mobile access at the moment
Time available: Arrive Barnstaple 1.30 ish, leave 4.40.
Shopping, Bank & Etc.: 45 mins
Lunch: 45 mins
Pubs: 1hr 40 mins
It's great having the bus stop immediately outside the pub door:)))
Which is the thing about small towns, nothing is more than a few minutes walk away.
- Pros:Everything required from your local market town
- Cons:No all-night buses to rural areas - HA!
- In a nutshell:Don't be fooled by first impressions
This is a pub I don't get to anywhere near as often as I should, especially since it is the home of the excellent Barum... more travel advice
Despite the fact that Barnstaple has two Wetherspoons - chain pubs best known for their cheap beer and food, it's... more travel advice
- See All The Summer Surf and Cycle Bus
- See All Stick To The Fish 'n Chips!
- See All Unfortunately The Briefest Of Stays...
- See All Wi-Fi Access and a Decent Breakfast
johngayton's Related Pages
Barnstaple Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Barnstaple"
- "Barnstaple - North Devon's Metropolis"
- "We call it home!"
- "Little place called Barnstaple..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barnstaple
- Hotels in Barnstaple
- Transportation in Barnstaple
- Nightlife in Barnstaple
- Restaurants in Barnstaple
- Shopping in Barnstaple
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barnstaple
- 37 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Barnstaple?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barnstaple
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue