"All The B's - Beaches, Babes, Buzzy and Busy..." Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth by johngayton
Bournemouth Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 485 photos
Bournemouth is the premier summer resort on the Dorset coast and is especially renowned for its seven miles of golden sanded beaches. It's reckoned that on a busy August day the various beaches attract over 100,000 people!
As to accommodation there's cheap family-orientated hotels, upmarket places, camping and pretty much something for everyone.
Outside the summer season Bournemouth is also known for its conference facilites with its International conference centre often hosting the main UK political parties' annual events.
Year round the town centre offers excellent shopping, with a good mix of National and independent stores, and an eclectic variety of restaurants, cafes and bars.
Bournemouth has long been considered a retirement town and certain neighbourhoods consist of mainly sheltered apartment complexes. I suppose the main attraction for retirees is the seaside location and there are also the beautifully-tended town centre parks and gardens, which are are great places to stroll. And, as a bonus, the beach promenades are all level.
On the other end of the age-scale it also has a very lively student population, attending not just the University of Bournemouth (the campus of which is actually in next-door Poole) but also foreign students at the many language schools. Thus the town has loads of nightclubs, many of them being open until 5-6 am.
This is why I find it a bit of a boring place, in as much as there isn't really anything geared up for us in the middle. The couple of half-decent pubs are OK but no-one seems to speak to anyone else and if you're sitting at a bar and say "Hi, how are you?" to whoever is next to you, you get funny looks rather than a reply! (Well this is Dorset - Or maybe it's just me!)
- Pros:Stunning Location
- Cons:No-one Speaks To You.
- In a nutshell:Well, that's Dorset for You!
As Indian restaurants go this one is merely OK. The only time I ate here there was only one other table occupied and the... more travel advice
I was actually just after something simple and greasy but the blackboard here caught my eye -I liked the sound of the... more travel advice
- See All Stag and Hen Parties
- See All This Is One I Try To Avoid
- See All The Sandbanks To Shell Bay Chain Ferry
johngayton's Related Pages
Bournemouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bournemouth - where Tolkien holidayed!"
- "All The B's - Beaches, Babes, Buzzy and Busy..."
- "bournemouth the summer town in england"
- "Learning English"
- "BEUATIFUL BOURNEMOUTH!"
- "It's not just for people waiting for God!"
- "Bournemouth - I want my braincells back"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bournemouth
- Hotels in Bournemouth
- Transportation in Bournemouth
- Nightlife in Bournemouth
- Restaurants in Bournemouth
- Shopping in Bournemouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Bournemouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bournemouth
- 26 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Bournemouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bournemouth
Photos in BournemouthSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue