"Highlights Of A Day Trip" Brixham by johngayton
Brixham Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 70 photos
Brixham is a colourful and characterful fishing port, one of the busiest in the UK, situated on Devon's south coast at the bottom end of the crescent of what is colloquially known as the "English Riviera" of Torbay.
Its harbour, sheltered by a 3,000 foot-long breakwater, is very much a working one and the commercial fish market attracts buyers not just from the UK but also from France, Spain and several other European Countries.
The main catches are the English Channel flatfish such as sole and plaice and because of the bay location there's an abundance of shellfish - the town is especially known for its succulent, meaty crabs, one of which I've just had for lunch (see restaurant tips for that).
Brixham manages to strike a balance between being a workplace and a tourist attraction (not, of course, that being a "tourist attraction" doesn't require work). As well as the fishing and the touristy stuff there's also quite a lot of light industry in the area and the environmental laboratory of the pharmaceutical firm Astra Zenica has what is probably its most attractively-situated building overlooking the bay and outer harbour.
There is a certain amount of modern developement around but this is mostly low-key. The modern buildings have been kept squat and nothing higher than the "Old Saints" church dominates the vistas. The harbour is in the process of getting a new commercial building, but that too seems to be being built sympathetically to its surroundings.
Thus much of the old town's character has been retained and the narrow streets climbing up the hillside make for a pleasant wander - and a decent cardio-vascular work out!
- Pros:Pretty and Functional
- Cons:None That I Noticed
- In a nutshell:Great Place For A Day Out!
I'm a bit funny about eating in pubs, despite the fact that I quite often cook for them. What I hate is when a pub... more travel advice
If you don't have time for a major hike on the Southwest Coastal Path from Brixham then a short walk (about 30 minutes... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Brixham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Highlights Of A Day Trip"
- "Brixham, if you haven't heard of it; you have now!"
- "Devon's Largest Fishing Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brixham
- Hotels in Brixham
- Transportation in Brixham
- Restaurants in Brixham
- Warnings and Dangers in Brixham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brixham
- 18 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Brixham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brixham
Photos in BrixhamSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos